Why the principal shuffle?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Aug 9, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Aug 9, 2018

So, are the districts in my area the only ones that do this? Principal of school A is moved to School B, while principal of School B is moved to School C, and Principal of School C is moved to school A. (And so on and so forth) Original principal of School A was there for two years, moved to School D, and now is back at School A, two years later. I understand that sometimes, maybe a principal isn't the right fit, or something, but it's every year around here, and it's the same people being shifted around, with maybe one outside person coming in for the one position that the principal left the district altogether.

So much of a school culture is dependent on consistency, and how can that happen when as soon as the principal really figures it out, they're on their way somewhere else?

What happened to principals retiring, and then AP simply being promoted up into the position? Smooth transition, easy peasy lemony squeezy.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2018

Our principals are usually moved every 4-5 years. VPs move more frequently; they are rarely at a school for longer than 2 school years, and may be transferred earlier than that. My district is huge and a P would never return to a school where they had been before.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 9, 2018

We only have two buildings in my district, so principals never move. I like that I've always had the same principal as long as I've been there. I know him well, his expectations are clear, and I know what to expect from him. I can't imagine having to get to know a new principal every other year. However, we're all very close since it is a small district, so maybe it wouldn't matter as much in a big district.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 9, 2018

In my district, we (Principals & APs) are shuffled around every 3-5 years. It's very rare for an administrator to stay at a site longer than 5 years. The district office feels very strongly that each administrator possesses unique strengths that need to be shared amongst the different school sites.

There are times, though, when they move us for reasons such as the P/AP not getting along or too many grievances about a P/AP.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    MrsC and TrademarkTer like this.
  6. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 9, 2018

The principal of the local elementary school has been there well over a decade or longer. The school keeps getting worse and worse and worse. I can't for the life of me understand why this P keeps the job let alone being allowed to do such damage for so long. I do believe that some nepotism has been involved in getting the job and keeping it. It certainly can't be based on job performance after hearing some of the beliefs this person has in terms of education.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 9, 2018

We only have five buildings, so principals don’t move much. We had one middle school assistant go to the high school, but he applied for that. None of them have ever been involuntarily moved, as far as I know.

We just got our fourth principal in my 26 years with the district. We have always hired the assistant as principal. Only one principal hasn’t retired. He took another job in the district.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 9, 2018

I'm in a small district and it would be unheard of for principals to be transferred to another school. I interviewed at a really large district this summer and was very leery because the P was being moved from another building. I have a friend who works in the district and she said apparently it happens all of the time in that district. FWIW, this was a wealthy, high performing district. I don't really get the point of it either. I know there are some leadership philosophies that say you don't want people to get "too comfortable." Maybe that's what they're going for?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 10, 2018

I think in the instances, like you said, where the P/AP don’t get along or there are too many complaints filed about P’s/AP’s that shuffling is warranted, but if a school is thriving under the leadership of its current P/AP, then it doesn’t make sense — to me — to shuffle them around. Think about it: If one school does well and then gets employees who are not doing well, then it will go into decline while another school benefits from the exchange. This seems like the net gain would be zero.

I think these districts that move you guys and gals around just for the sake of it need to abide by the age-old adage, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 10, 2018

Agreed.

I’ve never understood why some people think that getting too comfortable in any role is a bad thing? It’s not perceived to be bad when a teacher feels comfortable in their teaching role, so why would it be when an administrator is in their administrative role?

This society is plagued by people who make issues out of non-issues.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 10, 2018

In some instances comfort leads to complacency and assumption which leads to things slipping through the cracks. It is good to be comfortable with the tasks, but management requires continual attention to detail without micromanaging. But getting too comfortable in a position makes some people not look at what is really happening and to go through the motions rather than be on their toes.

bella84 likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 10, 2018

Maybe. My elementary school principal worked in the same school for 36 years and the school did extremely well throughout her tenure.

I can see that happening with some people, but I believe that it is not the norm.