Why Nebraska Doesn't Need School Choice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Sep 28, 2017.

1. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2017

How about students recieving SPED services. Private school students can receive services like speech provided by public money. Textbooks are often also provided by the local school district. This all typically comes from federal money. Should that be banned?

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2017

http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/idea-2004-and-private-schools/

"Children who attend public schools are entitled to a free appropriate education and an IEP, and they receive funding from the federal government. Private schools do not receive this funding and are not required to provide a free appropriate education or an IEP. They are not required to provide special education services to children with disabilities."

Tyler B. and Backroads like this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2017

I worked in a Catholic school. Kids had ieps and recieved services through the county. We also recieved all textbooks through the local school district because that's how textbook money is distributed.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 3, 2017

Interesting. The private school (also religiously affiliated but not Catholic) I interviewed at last year specifically told me they did not provide IEP support for their students.

5. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2017

I always was under the impression it depending on the private school and what they were able/willing to do. Private schools aren't prevented from giving IEP support, they're just not required to (barring whatever public funding).

anon55 likes this.
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2017

The public school district (or county special services commission) determines if evaluation is needed, and if so, does it. Then there is money provided (meaning an employee outside the private school) comes in and provides the service. Just like a kid who is recieving services before attending school. The funding is limited though so you basically get underserviced and if you want more, you transfer to public school.

Backroads likes this.
  7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 3, 2017

By all means, please do.

Tyler B. likes this.
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2017

So are we just eliminating entire states or are we gonna go district by district?

9. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Oct 5, 2017

A recent study shows that Wisconsin voucher schools cause financial harm to regular public schools (which outperform the voucher schools.) Why would politicians want to throw public money down the voucher hole other than promote a certain religious point of view?

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2017

Tyler,

As far as vouchers, Wisconsin's system of vouchers is as bad as it gets. It doesn't have to be like that, but I agree Wisconsin is an example of how not to use vouchers.

Backroads likes this.
  11. Belch

Belch Rookie

Oct 5, 2017

Are things so bad in the states that creationism is taught as science? Or rather that it is introduced as a subject that might be applicable to the scientific method?

I don't know how you guys teach science, but I was taught that science is a method, so how can creationism be taught as science? I thought that was merely a hypothesis.

I was taught about phrenology in a high school science class, and was asked to apply the scientific method to this hypothesis in order to test the validity of the idea. Wouldn't creationism or any idea, for that matter, be introduced in the same way?

Backroads likes this.
  12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2017

This is not a study, it's a policy memo giving an opinion, the other side could claim their points with other data.

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Oct 6, 2017

I shouldn't have used the word "study". It's a report from the National Education Policy Center - known to produce high-quality, peer-reviewed research.

Thanks for the correction.

14. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Oct 8, 2017

excellent post as always

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2017

Out of curiosity, how are you defining excellence?