Why is everything taking so loooooonnnnggg?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Sep 11, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 11, 2013

We have to "map" our spelling words (20) at the beginning of each lesson (phoneme-grapheme map), and we do 2 of Laura Candler's vocabulary foldables to introduce our (Storytown) Robust Vocabulary words (both lists are required). Today we began Lesson 3, and it took almost the entire ELA time to do just those two things! I have ELA from 8:30-10:15, and we were only able to read the first 4 pages of the story before our time was up! Ugh - it's my first year in 3rd grade, but I'm beginning to feel as if my firsties from the past 5 years caught on and moved faster! This is our fifth week of school... maybe I'm just being impatient, but wow, they are wearing me out!:dizzy:

3. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

Some of my 4th graders are moving really slowly in some things also. I'm stuck in the balance of trying to figure out if they really need the extra time or if I need to put my foot down and say "get it done by xyz time"

4. live

live Companion

Sep 11, 2013

I can commiserate! Math is the time-eater for us...and we are only doing review so far! I can only imagine what our pace will be like when we get to new things.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 12, 2013

It's not just in reading, unfortunately - one of my kids took 2 hours to take a rounding quiz in math 2 days ago! (and she's one of my higher kiddos!) We've been constantly interrupted by Benchmark assessments (we have a new online system of assessments, and our systems aren't able to handle the load), tech support coming out (during instructional time) to "help" by re-imaging the computers & such, inspections for mold and insects (one of our classrooms had toxic mold - thank God we all have different ventilation and a/c systems!), and such. Ugh. I'll be glad when the beginning of the year is over!