Why do you want to work at this school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Mar 11, 2012

I am filling out applications for 2 private schools both of which on the applications ask why do you want to work at ___ school? I've heard great things about both schools from teachers I work with that have kids at those schools, although I don't know much about the schools and frankly I'll apply to almost anywhere I see a job as I really need a full time job. Although this might be a general statement and not specific to their school, I thought about putting something in my answer about desiring to work at private schools which I feel are a nurturing environment and how at private schools you are able to really get to know your students and give them more individual attention. Any other thoughts? Should I search their website for info to put down of why I want to work at their school?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2012

I would do a search of their website, especially their mission statement to help you frame a response to this question. Also, are these schools in the community in which you live? This can be a reason for wanting to work there as well.

4. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Mar 11, 2012

Yes both private schools are in the community that i live and within 5 minutes of the preschool where I work now

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2012

I would also include the positives from the parents and the positives that the school does in the community.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2012

I agree with Mopar. Spend some time on their websites to see what the school stand for, and what their goals are. Really explore their sites to get a good idea of what each school offers, and what each school is like. That should help you to find out more bout them.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2012

We read so many posts from teachers about bad administrations, scripted curriculums, and a host of other factors which make a school a bad fit.

I think it's really worth the time to do the homework, and find reasons why you do want to work in that particular school.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2012

You're on the right track if you follow the previous posters. If you mention your proximity, I wouldn't say, "It's a short commute." Instead, talk about how you value the schools as a part of your community and would love to join one or the other on a teaching level. Something like that might do the trick.

9. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Mar 13, 2012

Both schools don't have a whole lot on their websites. There's a mission statement, and a bit about what is taught but not a lot. Both have small class sizes (no more than 18 students) and are christian schools, so I could definitely write about how i prefer working in small, christian schools that offer a nurturing environment while also having strong academics.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2012

Look carefullly at the mission statements.

And google both school names. See what awards they've won, what news they've made in the community.