Why do you want to be a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherfan, Jun 14, 2006.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jun 14, 2006

I had an interview yesterday and this was the first question they asked me. Just curious what others say. I stammered on about how I like working with children, in a class, etc. I don't think I sounded very confident or convincing (although I really do like working with children and being in the classroom).

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 14, 2006

Simply put, I want to be a teacher because I love watching students discover new things and witnessing those "lightbulb" moments when students start to understand something that they didn't before.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 14, 2006

Oh love your answer Beth.

I would have done the same thing about stammering along and not sounding convincing.

5. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jun 14, 2006

I know what you mean...sometimes it is hard to put into words something that just "is". Teaching and interacting with adolescents is something natural that comes from within. I even wonder if I had any choice in the matter at all because it seems God chose it for me and tailored me for the profession. Anyway, this is not my answer to the the interview question, just saying...

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2006

For me, I want to be a teacher because elementary school was such a positive experience for me; I want to make my students have the same type of experiences. Not such a hot answer, but the truth.

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2006

Right about now I would WANT to say I want to be a teacher because I have summers off!!!! However I know that is the wrong answer. The advice with the above posters does sound really good.

8. DisneyDreams

DisneyDreams Rookie

Jun 15, 2006

I said I wanted to be an elementary teacher because the classroom is such a huge part of kids lives. It's where they make new friends, learn things about themselves, etc. I didn't know then, but my experiences in elementary school have played a huge part in who I am today. To have nine months to have such control over some kids lives is an honor that I want to try my best to make positive.

And that's how I honestly feel.:angel:

9. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jun 15, 2006

I agree with one the above posters, its hard to put into words and sort of rationalize why one wants to be a teacher. I mean if I really want to help kids why not be a doctor, social worker, child pyschologist? Why teach? I feel like I should have an original answer besides I like and want to help kids. Maybe I just like the control:angel:

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2006

I think it all stems back to our own experiences. For me, Kindergarten, especially was almost magical.... I loved the housekeeping area, all the hands on stuff... yes, I was a girly girl:p I would love to just recreate that. Besides, it's a home away from home. I can positively influence a child for a few hours a day. I'd say that's worth it.

11. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jun 15, 2006

My first answer is that i love reading and love to help kids love it, too.

12. teacherdn

teacherdn New Member

Jun 15, 2006

At my interviews I state my granddaughter was born with multiply disabilites and while helping her reach successess. I found myself wanting to help other children with special circumstances to succeed. I also want to make a difference in someone's life.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

I teach for those "aha" moments.

14. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2006

I'm with Jaime and the stammerers...
    and Teacherfan, with needing a different answer- but control? You sub because you like the CONTROL?! omg, give me some!

Glad you had such a great experience, Friz-- my answer would be something of the opposite; just want to spite all those rotten teachers who thought they could smash me! :D (though I admit I didn't make life any easier for them either...;))

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2006

This is truly from the heart and genuine... I think when applicable we should share our life experiences and be genuine.

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2006

Surely. That is probably what they're looking for, after all-- as opposed to a stereotypical answer that could be faked by anyone. Experiences that inspired you are the only part of your answer that is guaranteed to be unique. It is you. Go for it.

Of course, those who just always felt a general desire to teach don't have as many options. That used to me my problem, until I did a little self-investigation and realized that the "Just wanna" line is usually not 100% true, or at least it's not the whole truth. A little soul searching in anticipation of such questions is likely to turn up some treasures you never realized you had. (Sounds like I'm writing fortune cookies ;))

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2006

I agree Bored! soul searching is the only way...

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

I usually answer that teaching is honestly the only profession I've ever been able to picture myself in. I remember being in 4th grade and my teacher, who was a gifted artist, always started the year by drawing caractures of us doing whatever it is we said we want to be when we grew up. I said a teacher, and it's never changed. I wanted to be JUST like my teachers when I was little, because (aside from my evil 3rd grade teacher), they made school SO much fun.

Now that I've been in the classroom, I realize that what I live for is those "aha" moments... when you see that "I finally got it!" look when a kid finally understands something they've struggled with. But what I love most is helping kids realize that school is an enjoyable place ot be and that learning is fun. So many kids I know don't enjoy going to school, and I want to help my kids change that trend.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2006

I'm with you, clarnet: seeing that "Aha!" look on someone's face, and knowing I had something to do with getting it there, has to be the best rush ever. Many of my students get there by way of a lifetime of experiences more like Bored's than like Frizz's, which somehow makes it even more powerful.

(That look, by the way, is one of two reasons that distance learning will never totally replace live classes. The other reason is the look that's the opposite of "Aha!", the one that says the student is floundering and about to go AWOL mentally if the teacher doesn't intervene now.)

20. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jun 16, 2006

um... I was kidding about control.

I have been thinking more about why and have come up with these reasons..
    -I like the creativity that teaching brings into my life. Everyday is different and I get to use many different techniques, methods, etc to reach my students.
    -Like clarnet73 I have never been able to see myself as anything other than a teacher even though I worked 15 years in a completely different field while getting my degree.
    -I love being a part of a child's learning. Nothing like those "aha" moments the others posted about.
    -I want to make a difference in the world (I know it sounds so trite but really true).