Why Do You Teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Aug 10, 2011.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 10, 2011

I've always wanted to be a teacher. In my school memory book, my mom wrote that I wanted to be a teacher every year except one year I wanted to be a doctor. It is something I knew I wanted to do. Now, as for teaching my preschool special ed. kids, I knew I wanted that class when I visited the special school where my brother attended. I would visit the preschool SPE room and I knew THAT is what I wanted to do. Six years later I got THAT class and I've been there for 12 years, starting my 13th. That class is me. I don't know any other class I would want to teach. I don't know what other job I would want to do. Teaching chose me.

4. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

Hmmm... Why I teach? This is gonna be a smorgasbord, so forgive me.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Mahatma Ghandi

"The world won't get no better if we all just let it be." -Teddy Pendigrass

"I hear babies cry. I watch them grow. They'll learn much more than I'll ever know. And I think to myself 'what a wonderful world'." -Louis Armstrong

I teach because of Ms. D, Mrs. C, Ms. H, Mrs. M, Mrs. S, Mr. P, Mr. C, and Mr. H. These were the teachers who dug down deep and saw the best in me and challenged to me to grow and work harder than I even thought I was capable. The ones who said "I think there's something special there. Let's try this."

I teach because of Ms. J, Mr. S, Dr. J and Dr. X who could never see beyond my faults, could not see my potential and made me feel stupid and defective.

I teach because every kid needs someone who tells them "Yes, you can." Every kid needs someone who says "Why can't you?" Someone who believes in them more than they believe in themselves, someone who challenges their belief system and paradigms. Someone to expand their horizons. Someone to reset the internal messages that have already been recorded in their sensitive minds.

I teach because I've wanted to be a teacher since I was six years old sitting in Miss D's class. I teach because because I come from a culture where education is the key out of a bad situation. I teach to give back. I teach because someone taught me and now it's my time to pay it forward.

E1T1

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2011

Because I can and I must admit...I'm great at it!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Because I make a difference.

Because I have a passion for this profession.

Because every day is different.

Because I love learning, and seeing the learning unfold as we make discoveries together.

Because of the laughter.

Because of the kids.

Because I make a difference.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2011

I'm good at it.

I'm qualified to do it.

It is the job I currently have.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

Do you love it? Are you still feeling that you are reaching kids and making a difference?

9. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

Because when I'm away I miss them. Their smiles, stories and hugs.

I enjoy seeing them grow and learn.

I enjoy creating a classroom family and seeing how everything begins to fall into place and works like a well oiled machine.

I make a difference.

Everyday is truly different... I get to help create the kind of classroom experience I wanted growing up.

10. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

Because I LOVE school supplies and writing on the board!!! :lol:

Truly, I teach because I can have a positive impact on a child's life.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2011

E1T1 - Beautifully said!
    Ditto here!

12. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

To make a difference in my student's lives. I know that most will not continue in theatre, but teaching an elective really allows me to connect with my students and have great discussions about life skills that they desperately need.

13. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

I love chalk! No, really.

14. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

'Cuz I like my summers off. :) LOL

I teach because I enjoy creating and providing opportunities for children learn and explore. I love seeing their faces as they try to work through situations or problems (be they successes or failures). I love seeing their faces and excitement when they "get something".

Deep down, I teach because I can. I can reach my students. I can touch my students' hearts. I can provide them with opportunities to become a better person. I teach because I am good at it. Simply stated, it was a calling that I answered. I can impact the future... that's why I teach.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 12, 2011

I teach because teaching chose me;because it was what the Lord wanted me to do.
    I teach because I can, and I am good at it.
    I teach because I have a passion for learning, and I want to instill that passion in the minds of children.
    I teach because when I open a book, I open another world, and I want to explore that world with my class.
    I teach because I learn from my students every day. I make a difference, but they make a difference in my life as well.
    I teach because I believe that there are more good teachers than bad, and because I have hope in the future.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

I teach because I love the excitement and energy that happens when someone learns something new for the first time. It's electric and addictive!

I also teach because I believe that I'm good at what I do, and I deeply believe that all of us are responsible for contributing our gifts to our community. I can't manage anyone's budget or diagnosis an illness, or even sell a really great product. But I *can* teach your kid how to read and write better and transfer those skills to what they want to do in the future. I have a social responsibility to do it.

17. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

:thumb:

It is a second career for me, but looking back, maybe God was setting me up for it! It is another case of never saying "never"! He started me on the road by having the religious ed teacher at our church badger me to take a 6th grade CCD class. I gave in and was hooked on working with middle schoolers. And I did have one trouble child and several who fed off that child, so it wasn't a bowl of cherries.

But for all the same reasons stated above, I'm hooked for life.

To quote the author of the article the OP referred us to...
    "I work in middle schools because that's where the battle gets most intense but also where we can still reverse problems. I love middle school kids. I love where they are intellectually and emotionally. I love being able to engage them in the kind of rigorous discussions they aren't ready for until around sixth grade, and then I love getting hugs once in a while (in contrast to elementary school kids, who want hugs eight times a day, every day). You can still turn their lives around in middle school. I know; I've seen it."

This was the reason I chose middle school as well. Some are still falling through the cracks, but it doesn't mean I can't try, try, try to reach them. It is sad when you get the ones who just repel every attempt and are supported by the same attitude at home. But, I try with them too. Maybe too hard? I hope that even if I don't ever see it, that I've influenced some of the more difficult kids just enough that they avoid messing up in life.

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

I am sure it was chosen for you! A colleague of mine went through her entire nursing training, and in the last semester, gave it up and pursued teaching. She was meant to be a teacher! A good one at that! She always told me it was divine intervention-and I agree. ;)

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

Because I believe in the future.

20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2011

I never loved it. It was never about that for me. I do feel I reach students and make a difference. I see that all of the time, but that has never been why I do it.

21. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 14, 2011

I love teaching. I believe in the magic that can happen in the classroom when students know that a teacher cares about them and their success. I love watching people achieve their dreams and I think that teaching is the one career opportunity that I have that will allow me to help facilitate these dream-makers in action. :) I teach because I'm good at it and I love the content. I love teaching reading because reading saved my life and I know it can save the lives of others.