Why do I have to learn this? This is stupid.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Daniel Gonzalez, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 22, 2019

I think it's the age. There's a lot going on in that general age bracket. They're trying to figure out who they are, how they fit into the grand scheme of things. Not to mention trying to navigate puberty and all that comes with that.

2. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2019

I tell my kids on the first day that they likely won't use 90% of the the things they learn in my class but they are going to love it. I then tell them I don't learn anything when I go to Disneyland but that doesn't stop me from paying attention when I'm there. So, when they ask that question I just say "you won't" with a smile and don't engage.

They don't actually want to know when they are going to use it, they are just bored. Fix that part and the question goes away.

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 23, 2019

Question: Why?
    Answer: Why not?

Why not learn just to learn.

Another thought, too, in this age of information, mathematical understanding greatly assists in weeding out misinformation.

4. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 24, 2019

Because you are not heathen. You are a member of a civilization. The civilization you are a part of requires that you have knowledge of certain things, even if you never use it once in your entire life. The civilization you are a part of has determined that this topic is one of those things that you must know for our civilization.
    Deal with it.
    Don't like it, you have two options. 1. Become Tarzan, move to a deserted island and swing from the trees. or 2. Grow up, get extremely educated and if you still don't see a value for it, work change it.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Yep. Especially if this is a standard reply to everything but... time to line up and go to the lunch.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2019

Disneyland is a terrific place to engage one's knowledge of physical science, rhetoric, visual and performing arts, and math, at the very least, if one is open to doing so. (The principle here is the teachable moment, in reverse.)

Experience suggests that one of the wellsprings of the "When are we ever gonna use this? This is stupid" remark is fear of failure or struggle: it's more comfortable to sneer at or make jokes about a field of knowledge than it is to risk looking stupid in it. It might be that we teachers need to be better at normalizing discomfort and struggle.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2019

So true. Just as it's more comfortable to be the "clown" than it is to admit that you don't understand.