Why Can't I Land an Interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Marvista2091, May 28, 2019.

1. Marvista2091

Marvista2091 New Member

May 28, 2019

I just finished my Credential program (Single Subject English) this month and I have applied already to at least 20 schools in the Southern California area, but I have not even landed an interview. The majority of the schools I've applied to on Edjoin have not even viewed my application or sent out a rejection, so I am getting very anxious.

I am wondering if it is because I am a newbie and these schools are looking for someone with more experience? But I am also wondering why the districts do not even view my application even though they posted the jobs in April or early May...

I also wanted to know where charter/private schools usually post their hiring opportunities. I have only really looked at Edjoin for job opportunities for this coming school year, but I haven't really seen charter/private schools flying any positions near me (I'm looking at a 40 mile radius around me). Do you think it's just because there aren't any openings, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

3. Baroness

Baroness Rookie

May 28, 2019

The public and private schools near me post employment opportunities on their websites. Sometimes schools just don't keep up with their websites and don't remove the listings right away. Have you tried calling the school districts? Or stopping by the school board office to talk to someone in person? Keep on trying. Good luck!!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. FutureTeacher87

FutureTeacher87 Rookie

May 28, 2019

Definitely take advantage of the district's teacher job fairs when they become available. I also agree with the above comment about stopping by the school board office in person. Best of luck!!!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 28, 2019

Have you done any subbing or volunteering in your area? Making yourself known to school personnel can really help.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 29, 2019

How long has it been since you applied for these positions? Some schools don't hold interviews until the summer. It seems that a lot of new teachers here expect things to happen immediately and are not patient.

7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 29, 2019

It's understandable when you've gone to school, obtained degrees, certification and have these things called bills that have to be paid.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 29, 2019

This is why you should always have backup plans A-Z. None of us is able to will a job offer or even an interview, so continue looking, while finding an available NOW job to start paying the bills. New teachers are at a disadvantage, because they can't even fall back on subbing in the middle of that first summer as a fail-safe. Additionally, if hired tomorrow, there would still be no income flowing into the bank account until fall.

OP - if interviews continue to fail to come, please have someone knowledgeable look at your resume. When my son graduated with an education degree, he used the "approved and make at college" resume. It was horrendous! Once I had a more professional resume created, the interviews started happening. Believe me when I say that there is a huge range in what is called a resume vs. what truly does the work of a resume. A resume should present the relevant information in a way that makes you seem highly desirable, and probably better than all the other candidates who are applying for the same jobs. Trust me when I say it is harder than it looks. Best of luck.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    CherryOak likes this.
  9. Marvista2091

Marvista2091 New Member

Jun 3, 2019

Hi all, thank you so much for your insight!!!

@Baroness and @FutureTeacher87 In the state that I'm from, all public education related positions are posted through one website and we are STRONGLY urged not to contact schools personally/directly through e-mails or otherwise. I would love to make an impression in person or through something more meaningful than just another application and resume in a stack of hundreds...but that's how it works here lol!

@FutureTeacher87 I've been to a few job fairs, but most seem to be looking for math/science positions, which is pretty expected I guess!

@geoteacher You're so right. I've talked to a few peers from my Credential program who got hired with their English credentials. They all had past experience working as an instructional aid or subbing in that district for years. I'm definitely going to have to sub in a few districts this fall if I get no interviews!

@TeacherNY I've been applying since late March, and some of those schools from earlier on have not yet replied. They may just not be very courteous and may have already found someone to fill their positions, but it's a little worrisome when the website we use tells us (those who apply) whether or not your application has even been opened. I understand what you mean, though. But I think it comes more from a place of...how am I going to pay off my loans, especially since I quit my job in order to student teach for the past 6 months? Haha.. I'm definitely open to subbing if I don't get hired this summer, but it's not like I wouldn't stress about finding a job, right?

@whizkid Yes!! Student teaching has killed me and now that I'm finally done with my program...just grinding til I get that job..!

@vickilyn You're definitely right. Back up plans are always necessary, but hopefully I can try harder and land something for the fall :) That's a great idea about having my resume checked. I'll definitely ask some of the connections I made at school and while student teaching to have them look it over.

Thanks again, all, for the advice!! Crossing my fingers that I'll get an interview soon :)

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 3, 2019

I personally am a believer in having my resume professionally written. They know the terms that indicate the skills you want to make visible. If you don't like what they offer up in take one, they rewrite until you are satisfied. I once even asked for a different writer, because I didn't feel like the resume the first writer produced represented me/my talents well. The second writer was much better, and that resume, with some modifications made over time, is still one I love. Many of the internet resume writers offer reduced rates for new grads. No, I don't work for them, and yes, I am a decent writer, but this is a specific writing form and it represents you and your potential. An ineffective resume is always one of the first things I am suspicious of when there have been multiple applications with no invites for interviews. Whatever they are seeing on paper is not enticing to get to know more about you. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    CherryOak likes this.
  11. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 3, 2019

My gut reaction is also to get your resume and cover letter rewritten. It needs to be quantitative and confident.