Who's Who Among America's Teachers????

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by src1105teach, Mar 27, 2006.

1. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 27, 2006

I just got a letter in the mail from Who's Who Among America's Teachers. The letter states:
    "I am proud to congratulate you on being selected for inclusion in the 10th Edition of Who's Who Among America's Teacher 2005-2006. I believe you will find this honor exceptionally gratifying since it comes from a successful former student who recommended you because you made a difference in his or her life."

Okay here are my questions:
    *Has anyone received this letter before?
    *Are they looking for money or are they really honoring teachers?
    *You are put in a book and then asked to pay for the book. What is that about?
    *The money goes to scholarships.
    If one of my students really did honor me, I don't want to trash the paper. However, it sounds a little fishy to me. Has anyone else receive this letter? What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback!

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

Mar 27, 2006

4. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 27, 2006

Yup. This has popped up at least in 2 "new" threads since I've been a member. Of course I don't blame anyone--not everyone lives on this site (but some of us do:D ).

5. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 27, 2006

Thank you so much for the link. It was very helpful! I just love this site.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006

I just got the letter and really had a good laugh. It said a former student nominated me. It also said that the former student was at least in high school or maybe even in college. Well that made me feel really good because I have only been teaching for 7 years and I teach 1st grade. So therefore any student I had wouldn't be in any higher grade than 7th grade. Unless I am that good of a teacher and they promoted the kids all the way up to high school!!! So I just threw the letter away.

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 27, 2006

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2006

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jane, you better post on the venting thread of grammy's!

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2006

This thread reminds me of the movie, "Groundhogs Day" for some strange reason!:rolleyes:

10. auntieneice

auntieneice New Member

Mar 27, 2006

I was wondering about this myself-I just received the letter in the mail on Saturday. Was wondering how they got my name for real??
    My students are only 3-5 yrs. of age, by the time they could do this I am sure they have forgotten me!

11. src1105teach

src1105teach Rookie

Mar 27, 2006

I still have mixed feelings about the letter. I guess it is a nice thought. I don't think I will send the letter back. I just don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006

I received a letter too just recently. Luckily, I had been aware of previous posts about this subject. But, wouldn't it be nice if there was something that recognized the efforts of teachers?

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 18, 2006

I have a friend from the city this co. is supposedly located in. Hopefully he will be able to find some information about all this. I spoke with a real person on the phone today and they had an answer for everything, but most didn't make sense. Like the libraries listed for each state are the biggest libraries in the state, but not the libraries they necessarily send books to. If that is their excuse they need to get NE info straigtened out because I KNOW a certain library is one of the biggest and is Not listed, while others listed are pretty small. And some the names are misspelled! You'd think they could get that right at least.

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 18, 2006

I home school my kids, and only my kids, they have never recomended me for any kind of award........... I still got the same leter! its a fraud!

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 18, 2006

How did you guys get those cool little pictures next to your names? I want one too!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2006

Go to the very top of the screen, to "User CP". Follow the links to creating (or changing) your AVATAR.

I think you can have more choices once you've been here a while; I'm still kind of a newbie myself!