WHO'S WHO AMONG AMERICA'S TEACHERS is NOT a valid award? True or not?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miatorres, Sep 5, 2007.

1. John L. Hare

John L. Hare New Member

Mar 19, 2016

Too bad you never got nominated or never read the material. And apparently neither did the previous posters.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2016

Interesting first post.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 19, 2016

I get nominated just about every year. I sent in the form once but I didn't buy the book. If this is your thing, go for it. It's just not mine.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 20, 2016

I was nominated for Who's Who in high school (no idea how that happened as I wasn't exactly a great student) a couple times and again as a teacher. I always filled out the profile information but enver bought anything. It just seemed to me if you had won such an amazing award you ought to be GIVEN the award plaque or book rather than having to pay for it yourself. After not purchasing anything the nominations magically stopped coming. I'm not saying it is or isn't legit, but it seems questionable to me. The folks at Who's Who always said I could look up my profile in books held by local libraries (public and private) yet I could never track down a copy anywhere. Hmm...

vickilyn likes this.
  5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Mar 20, 2016

runsw/scissors, I remember that as a high school student, my school's counselors told us that to be nominated for "Who's Who", a student must be a junior or senior and achieve a 3.4 or higher GPA (and no grade can be lower than a "C").

At my undergraduate university, only students who indeed made the Dean's Honor List during the current year could be nominated to be listed in "The Dean's List" publication. Thereafter, only the students who were recognized by "Who's Who" or "The Dean's List" could nominate a teacher for "Who's Who."

I submitted my profile information each time that I received the nomination but never bought anything. However, I was able to review the Who's Who books because several university and public libraries in my area subscribed to them.

6. Noelle G.

Noelle G. New Member

Feb 3, 2018

I was nominated four times for the Who's Who Among America's Teachers Award. Each year, the name of a former student was on the nomination. Fortunately, I was able to reconnect with and thank each student for all of the four nominations I received. It was an honor to be remembered in such a meaningful way by these students. However, it is shameful to hear the company had ill intentions, and were only out for the money. Honestly, after receiving these awards it reinforced in me how extremely important teaching is. I will be completing my 29th year and still going strong. Kudos to all people who try to make a positive difference in another human beings life. We are all teachers whether we are paid for it or not. Most people do not ever receive any awards for amazing things they do and say daily to touch others lives. Their rewards come instead by knowing they are being a descent and loving human by passing on their knowledge through actions and words.

7. Been There

Been There Companion

Feb 3, 2018

I've always thought that such lists were reserved for the most outstanding and well-accomplished individuals or organizations in a given field. Does the number of nominations that one receives reflect such notable standing? Frankly, I never paid any attention to Who's Who due to its irrelevance, but can see how it may enhance one's vitae.