WHO'S WHO AMONG AMERICA'S TEACHERS is NOT a valid award? True or not?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miatorres, Sep 5, 2007.

1. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

There is a publication called WHO'S WHO AMONG AMERICA'S TEACHERS, which is published by the same publisher as WHO'S WHO AMONG AMERICA'S HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS and THE NATIONAL DEAN'S LIST.

To be included in the teacher's publication, you must be nominated by a high school or college student who is in the top 10% of his or her class.

There is no cost to be included in this publication, but those teachers have the option to purchase memorabilia from this company, such as coffee mugs.

What some teachers are telling me is, "This award is a pile of s***t."

Is that true? Again, there is no cost to purchase anything from this award catalog.

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 5, 2007

I have been nominated three years in a row for this so called honor. The first year I was all excited and ordered the book and a plaque. However what is the odds of constatly being nominated and they refuse to reveal the student who Nominated you.Last year I clicked on to the web sight and it revealed five other teachers who were nominated from my school. Two of them I wouldn't nominate for anything having to do with teaching The last two years I filled out the Profile,but did not order anything.I hate to bust your bubble,but I don't put much faith in this nomination.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2007

As far as I know, submitting your name to it will put you in a book and you can say "Hey, I was a Who's Who teacher of the year" and a kid really does have to nominate you and that feels good.

However, this "foundation" or whatever they call themselves is really a business. They are more interested in selling their books, mugs, pins, etc, and turning a profit. It wouldnt hurt to submit your name, but just don't fall into the trap and buy their stuff.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 5, 2007

Be prepared for this to become a heated thread. It has come up many times before and always becomes a very heated debate. Many people who have been nominated are very upset to be told that other people don't think it's legit.

Here's my experience: I got the letter about being nominated before I had even taught and I've gotten a letter every year since. Take from that what you want... :rolleyes:

6. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

I got a letter saying that I was nominated for the National Deans List this past Spring semester. I did have the option to buy a copy of the publication for 60 bucks. It did seem very easy to be accepted;all I had to do was just basically tell them that yes I accept the nomination.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2007

People's dogs have gotten the nomination.

If it makes you feel better, go for it. It's just not as prestigious as they make it out to be....

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2007

You may very well be a magnificent teacher. But this nomination has nothing to do with that.

It's a ploy. They put your name into the book. Then, of course, you BUY the book so you can show people that your name is in it.

Go for it if you want, but think twice about investing any money in that huge book. And don't include it on your resume... it looks as though you don't have anything solid to include.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2007

I too was nominated before actually teaching. Sorry. :(

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2007

I am in a terrible mood...and I must vent to keep my sanity...

I did not get paid...but that is another thread..
    I think that since Denver decided to pay teachers on the basis of high test scores 'or else' and Chicago will soon give out toys, cash and cars as incentives to kids, parents and teachers... who can honestly say we are actually expected to do any 'teaching' these days!?

we are just prompting kids to pass tests!

and I would have to agree that whole Who's who program is a lot of propaganda.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2007

ditto Alice...

my daughter got the same info every year from college...

I know her college grades were not anywhere close to her high school grades.

When I got the mailing in high school, I was impressed and thrilled. But didn't buy into it!

I am so broke now...I can't pay attention!

sigh!

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 6, 2007

Not again! SCAM! It's a SCAM! They just want your money!

14. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Sep 6, 2007

I get one of these things faxed to me each week for Who's Who Among Childcare Directors. I've gotten one since the first week I have been at my center. And I used to get them all the time when I taught. Big waste of money if you ask me.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

ah..Mamacita...I am mucho mucho enjado... (sp?)

yo tengo no dineros!

me trabajador y no pay!

I have no money!

what is up with this???

I am just hijacking everyone's thread..

sorry...I am just sick to my stomach

took off today...
    don't know what to do next

ok...yeah..back to subject...

that is a rip off, I think it all the same company...banking on our emotions of doing our best, and earning the grade..like the who's who among high school students. .. just to get some fake enclyopedia britannica covered album with your picture in it..

that is, btw, why encyclopedia britannica lost money...nobody needed those old thick books anymore...we got the internet!

nobody needs another photo album...espeically if you don't know anyone else in it! I must be the only person on earth without a digital camera!

oh yeah, I didn't get paid..so I couldn't afford one now anyway! :(

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2007

Its a lot like all those kiddie beauty pagents. Give them
    some money and you can be a star.

17. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Sep 6, 2007

Amen Mamacita!

A warm fuzzy MARKETING SCAM based on some people's real dedication to the profession. What a bummer!

18. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 8, 2007

Yes- I would say it is a scam- I got it in High School and I have also been getting the teacher one every year since I have started college. It is a nice idea, but its not legit.

19. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 8, 2007

It's a real shame that in a profession where people work so hard with little recognition, a group is allowed to continue this scam and play with people's emotions. Isn't it about time they were closed down.Get the word out!

20. John L. Hare

John L. Hare New Member

Mar 17, 2016

This thread is a bit embarrassing. If you don't read the material that came in the nomination packet, you could jump to the conclusion that it was some sort of scam. That wasn't the case at all. No purchase was required; it was necessary to return an information form focused entirely on academic and teaching career--in a self-addressed, stamped envelope that was provided. Because the students who could make nominations were a select group and each was allowed one nomination each, I took it as a great honor. A colleague of mine and I did an informal look around our building. The people who had received awards from the administration or peers were different from those who had been listed in Who's Who. It's a damn shame that it didn't last--perhaps because of people who didn't read the information and jumped to conclusions.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2016

It was a scam in 2007 and would still be a scam today...just judging from the previous posts.

Kat53 and czacza like this.