Who Saw the Movie Divergent?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 1, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 2, 2014

Your questions are basically answered in the third book.

This trilogy is really like one LONG book. There is no passage of time between installments; the next book just picks up where the previous one left off.

2. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 2, 2014

While I really liked the first book, somewhat liked the second book, I HATED the third book because I felt like she didn't answer those questions. Or perhaps she attempted to but to me it felt like the whole third book was a cop-out. I really wish I didn't feel that way because I liked Divergent, so I'm reading the series again to see if it changes my mind. I was so mad reading the third book that maybe I missed some important details.;)

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 2, 2014

I did feel somewhat cheated in the answers, but she did technically answer them...lol.

I didn't like the third book nearly as much as the first, but I didn't hate it as much as others do.

I just finished "The Fault in Our Stars"...wow. Can't wait to see that movie.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 3, 2014

I loved The Fault in Our Stars! Finished it in one sitting.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 3, 2014

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the planet who didn't like Fault in Our Stars. I thought it was so boring. I got 30 pages in and decided I wasn't wasting anymore time!

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 3, 2014

I read the whole thing, and enjoyed it, I just didn't think it was amazing the way many of my friends and students did. It felt like young adult fiction to me, which is what it is, but I like it when it's harder to tell because of the quality of the writing. I felt like the author was trying too hard to take an old Lurlene McDaniel story and make the characters super cool and modern. Maybe because I spend so much time with teenagers, but none of it felt real to me. The best part are the perspective and the thoughts of the narrator, and I don't know how that will translate to film.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 3, 2014

I didn't like it either! I read it for book club and I couldn't believe everyone raved about it.

I also have tried numerous times to get through the Book Thief, which everyone also raves about and just haven't been able to do it. I think it's incredibly boring!

I really liked the first Divergent book, but didn't care for the other two in the series. I don't think I'll be seeing the movie.

8. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Apr 3, 2014

This is one of the things I love about teaching middle school...conversations about books and comparing book lists. I've had quite a few students the past two years who have preferred a book to its movie version. My kids are obsessed with this trilogy right now...and the Matched and Maze Runner trilogies. I'm a bit of a fanatic about young adult lit myself. I've read them all.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2014

The Book Thief took me forever to read!!

I liked The Fault in Our Stars, but I did not love it like most people. The book within a book annoyed me.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2014

Easily 80% of the reading I do during the school year is YA Lit--love it. My students always help me build my reading list; I'm forever picking up their independent reading books off of their desks, reading the backs and asking them about their recommendations. I haven't read the Matched series, but it's on my list!