Who needs cable TV in the 21st century?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

So I have been downsizing and realized that my cable company is a rip-off. I was paying 160 for only basic channels and local cables including internet. Last month I got my cable removed and only paying for internet. I am now paying 70 bucks for internet, and I am now spending at least 30 dollars for apps available on my Roku that have all the channels I was overpaying for on cable tv, and this is including premium channels.
    I wish I can find cheaper internet services, but I will suffice to pay 70 a month for now.

Cable TV is in the past and I also did not realize how many people are watching internet TV. It is so much better. I also advised my grandmother and mother to go this route because they are so over with paying the high fees that the cable companies provide.

Anyone else enjoys internet tv(Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, SlingTv, RokuTV)

ms.irene and ontheready92 like this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Feb 11, 2018

I have both Netflix and Hulu. They are incredibly cheap ($13.99/month for Premium Netflix and $11.99/month for Hulu Ad Free). I see no point in having Cable TV. I get all my favorite shows on either Netflix or Hulu and I read news online, which is free.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2018

I honestly have NEVER owned cable TV. I do not feel like I missed out, especially when I visit friends that have cable TV and see what's on it. (Just a bunch of "Real Housewives of Wherever", and other trashy reality shows.)

Like FMP, I have Netflix and Hulu. Also Amazon Prime. There are a LOT of good shows on these (and some not so good ones too--I'm a historical drama guy so I get bored with a lot of the other stuff).

ms.irene and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Feb 11, 2018

What shows are on Amazon Prime? I’m starting to think I should get it. Hm.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 11, 2018

Some that I recently enjoyed were "Man in the High Castle", "The Magnificent Ms. Maisel", and "Humans". Plus having an Amazon Prime membership gives you other non-video streaming benefits. (great shipping times on purchases)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Feb 11, 2018

Well, then I think I shall get Amazon Prime! Thanks!

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 11, 2018

We have cable because my husband is an NFL fan. Other than that, we mostly watch shows on the Roku.

czacza likes this.
  9. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

Feb 11, 2018

We have cable. It's cheap because my wife negotiates. Each time our renewal comes up, they send us notice that our bill will increase some huge amount. She threatens to get rid of all their services. They cut us a deal. That has been going on for 15 years! This tells me they are making so much profit, they have plenty of customer wiggle room. Like a car salesman.

I do not watch anything on the big 3 networks except local weather and HS sports scores. If anythings needs to die, it is the has-been major networks. The last time I ever tuned into any of their prime-time shows was probably the 80's = Magnum P.I. or Amazing Stories. Well.. I guess when we were first married in the early 90's, we used to watch William Shatner "Rescue 911" and Robert Stack "Unsolved Mysteries". We joke that it was the cornerstone of our marriage. We were poor newlyweds with a baby, no cable, and I was finishing college. BUT.. I have NEVER seen an episode of "Friends" and only watched a handful of "Seinfeld's" when at my in-laws. Currently, the cornerstone of our marriage is "Live PD" :)
    I hope it's good for another 25 years!

Netflix and Hulu never have what I'm looking for. When I think of a movie I have not seen in ages, nope, not available. They seem to pimp a lot of contemporary pop culture movies/shows and do not carry enough Best Picture or Academy Award movies. I think one night I felt like refreshing my memory on "Casablanca". Search came up empty. Are you kidding??? But I bet I could've watched all the Sharknados.. back-to-back!

10. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

In my household, we do not have cable TV at all. (We do have a home theater room where we watch movies or use some cool machines that I have no idea how to use.)

Seriously, I may not have Cable TV, but I have wasted my money on a popcorn maker, cotton candy maker, frozen yogurt machine, soda fountain, milk shake machine, nachos maker, and soft pretzel maker. I am not bragging or intend to. I believe I just admitted that I am slightly crazy.

linswin23 likes this.
  11. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

ok T234, You have all the REAL reasons to watch tv! Your home sounds amazing!

12. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 11, 2018

I watch sling TV and it has all the channels on cable including the sports channels and premiums. You are able to watch the shows live or you can rewind back to the beginning. I love it so much! The only thing about sling TV is that it doesn't have local networks but all other channels it does.
    I have Netflix and Hulu as well. Sling TV is internet cable TV for a very low price. I pay 30 bucks a month but it depends on what package you purchase

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Feb 11, 2018

I had Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, but decided to ditch all 3 in favor of....Youtube!!

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  14. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

I guess......good point. I'll consider getting Cable TV back.

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 11, 2018

You can use an antenna in many areas to get at least some of the local channels.

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 11, 2018

70 for internet + 30 for internet TV + about 25 to 30 for hulu and netflix? You are doubling your costs when you don't have the money. Surely you can do without a lot of the extras.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 11, 2018

I’ve always had cable. The only real reason I have it is because I watch the local news every morning when I’m getting ready for work.

I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, & Roku TV.

I need to rethink what I’m spending money on, obviously.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2018

I have always had cable tv. You can't get anything with an antenna here, and I was only able to get internet fast enough to effectively stream television in the past couple of years.

We pay $160 a month for premium HD digital cable, two cable boxes, and unlimited 50mbps internet.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime Video as well. We went for almost a year hardly ever watching television of any kind. I can take it or leave it. My mom doesn't even own a television.

19. Guitart

Guitart Rookie

Feb 11, 2018

Rabbit ears! OMG!
    Remember the circle antenna that would get you the UHF channels? Those were the days..

I spent my entire undergrad years with a b/w TV and rabbit ears. I would turn it on with sound off (like having someone in the room) and played guitar like a demon for 4 years. Other guys in my dorm were honing their skills on Mario, Street Fighter, and Tekken. Fast forward.. I have played in a rock bands for about 25 years and make decent side money doing it. Those other guys probably have not made a cent with their video game skills but I bet they can kick my butt at Plants and Zombies and Minecraft at their desk jobs.

20. Been There

Been There Cohort

Feb 12, 2018

Our renewal is coming up soon and I dread having to negotiate with them again. I'm curious to know what services you receive and what kind of deal your wife was able to get from your cable company. The actual numbers may help me with my own negotiation.

21. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 12, 2018

Nope.
    Netflix is 10
    and hulu is 10
    Slingtv is 20
    So I am paying 120 every month