who HASN'T gotten a job yet for the 2008-2009 school year?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Jul 13, 2008.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

No job yet. Still searching, but it is rough times in PA if you are looking for an elem. teaching job, unless you live in the city (it might be a little better there) I do have an interview with the IU this morning and I hoping they offer me something. I was already a long term sub there this past year. Oh, I wish it could be that easy!! Good luck everyone!!:)

2. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 15, 2008

I hope so!!!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

Just wanted to send some hugs to all of you! :hugs: Don't give up!

4. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

God I hope so. I keep sinking deeper and deeper into depression. There is absolutely nothing posted. I hate when friends say things like "I can't believe you didn't apply at such and such school. They just hired a dozen teachers." First off, I didn't know they were hiring. Second, I don't believe that they hired that many. Third, were they positions I was qualified for? Fourth, are you trying to make me feel worse? Why am I always a day late? :confused:

All I want to do is work. Why can't someone see that? :huh:

5. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I'm in the boat too. I've had no interviews and no phone calls. I've applied in two states and yet nothing. It doesn't help when your father calls you and tells you about some news report saying "x" school district has jobs only to have to remind him again that I'm not qualified for any of the positions...

I'm just ready to have a classroom somewhere... Not to mention it would be nice to know where I'm going to be living.

6. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

i agree about the living situation Vievers. i just got engaged and my fiance and i want to move out this summer. it is basically all banking on me getting a job. ugh!

7. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Well, I'm in the club, too. I've only had one interview and nothing else. Starting to wonder what else I can possibly do as a job with a teaching degree. I am trying to remain positive. I keep telling myself...God is in control. However, try telling that to someone else and they look at you with that "bless her heart, she doesn't stand a chance, she's grasping at straws and making excuses" look! Ha!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

I would like to be a fly on the wall in the dist/principal's office:

Hmm, we need a teacher. Okay, let's put out an ad.
    Alright, now...wait for 50 people to apply. Look over resumes.
    Call one or two, about 2-4 weeks from now, we don't want to seem desparate.

Interview them, and keep them waiting until the day before school starts. Maybe we can get somebody better, and if not, we know they aren't going anywhere! :(

If our friend/relative/bosses kid stops by, immediately give them the job.

Never call the other person, who we really liked.

They are bound to find something. :unsure:

9. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I just got married and moved to California in January. Depending on where I get a job I may be leaving the hubby and moving right back to where we moved from. :(:help:

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

I had to wait 4 years before I got my first job in a private school. I couldn't even get a job as a parapro because my district doesn't hire parapros with an education degree.

11. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I really think that there are 100 people applyig for every job and that they automatically hire the one with experience. I have a master's degree because the education program I was in was a 5-year program where student teaching was in the fifth year. I've been told by some teachers that no one will want to hire an inexperienced teacher with a master's degree. What was I supposed to do, leave with a bachelor's degree and no student teaching experience under my belt? I explain this in my interview. I would never have gotten my master's degree until after I had been teaching if it had not been part of the program. I know that some district's require it within a certain period of years after being hired.

12. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Would you consider Nogales AZ?

Would you consider Nogales AZ? A border town less than an hour from Tucson AZ and a warm, friendly district to work in. We need a 4th grade and 2nd grade teacher as well as a special ed elem teacher. You do NOT need to speak Spanish and will consider emergency certification for first year if you are not HIGHLY qualified for elem classroom. Please email me back or call 520-287-0840 and ask for Michael Young, principal at AJMitchell elem or email at myoung@nusd.k12.az.us
    Time is short as new teacher orientation is in two weeks.
    You may also simply respond to this posting and I'll take it from there.
    Thanks for your interest.

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Still looking and growing more frustrated, impatient (esp. with HR), and depressed each day... I'm convinced there is a memo going around to all of the schools that says, "Do not read this woman's resume." How else can I explain the lack of phone calls?

:hugs: I'm sorry Vievers!! Hopefully that isn't the case for you! I am currently in a similar situation-- I had to move away from my husband in order to find work. We're together during breaks, but it sucks living like we're still dating.

Good luck to everyone!!

14. Vievers

Vievers Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

The phone just rang and I got really excited... it was Walgreens telling me my prescription can now be picked up! Great...

Lilmisses- Thanks! Right now we are just hoping for the best. If I do move away we are hoping it's back to family so it could be a lot worse. I'm sorry you are having to live away from your husband! Good luck and may the phone ring!!

scott- sent you a private message with some questions

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

I would ask them if they were hiring! seriously, minimum wage is $7.75, and you get good discounts. part time, of course.

somebody called me today! yay! and I saw another ad I really liked. I thought Chicago had 600 schools, it seems like over 1000 now!!!

interview tomorrow! wish me luck...