Whiteboards/Turtle Wax?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jenny G, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Last year there was a thread about how to refresh your white boards. Someone posted about a teacher at her school who slathered on Turtle Wax in the spring and wiped it off in the fall.

Has anyone else ever done this? I obviously don't have the summer to let it sit, but I could do it on Friday and give it a couple of days if it works.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

It only needs to sit for a couple of minutes. If you have a few days, that's great, but it isn't necessary.

I had my students wax up the boards during a class last year. It took like 15 minutes to get them all done.

4. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 15, 2007

So it really works? The boards perform better?

Add to tomorrow's to do list: Get Turtle Wax!!

Where does one get Turtle Wax? Target, or do I have to go to an auto supply store?

5. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Wal Mart sells it I know, Target might. Just follow the directions on it like you're waxing a car... should work!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2007

It does make the boards much more resistant to staining. Just don't use it on real whiteboards--they are already treated. Turtle wax is just for the do-it-yourself showerboard kind.

Turtle wax is readily available in all auto stores and megastores with an automotive department (e.g. WalMart, Target, KMart, etc.). It usually costs around $5-7 for a little jar, and that jar will last forever.

7. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 16, 2007

Good point Cassie. To refresh a "real" whiteboard, get some cleaner specifically for whiteboards. The teacher before me last year had used the standard desk cleaner on them, and they wouldn't erase very well at all. They stained and smeared and it was gross. I used some expo board cleaner, and after a couple times of cleaning the board, it worked like new again.

8. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

yes, the expo brand cleaner is a miracle worker! it's expensive though, and has quite a smell, so use sparingly :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2007

I use regular Windex on my real whiteboards and I don't have a problem with them not erasing well. I wonder if that is a problem more with the markers themselves...?

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

Cassie, a friend of mine worked for Vis a Vis, and she said the low odor markers are NOTORIOUS for leaving stains on the white board -- especially the red and black. If you can handle the smell of the "regular" kind you should get those.

I should also mention, that's not just a Vis a Vis problem; it's all low odor brands.