Which way should I do these "awards"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Nov 9, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Nov 9, 2017

I teach 5 sections of the same math course, same level. (high school math)

Every marking period I like to recognize the top students by giving them a homework pass, a neat pencil, a bag of candy, and putting their names on my "Hall of Fame" for the marking period. I know some teachers don't like this for one reason or another, and if that's your opinion, I respect that, but I am going to continue doing it as I have had many students tell me it was very meaningful for them as they've never really been recognized like that before. (I also recognize the "Most Improved" in later marking periods.) For me, any pros outweigh any cons. That said, I am debating how to select which 10 kids to recognize.
    I've done it two ways in the past. Both have pros and cons so I am looking for your feedback on which way you would find preferable.

Method 1: Select the top two students from each of my five classes to to go on the "Hall of Fame".
    Pro: Students from every class are selected, and it makes each class more vested/excited in the process.
    Con: It could short a student who happens to be placed in a higher performing class, while rewarding a student in a lower performing class.

Method 2: Just look at all 5 classes together, and select the top 10. (out of approx 120)
    Pro: The factor related to class strength is negated.
    Con: No one from the lower performing classes is recognized. (For example, this year if I did it this way, 5 out of the top ten would come from my highest performing class, 3 from my next highest, and 2 from my third highest, and none from the other two classes)

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Nov 9, 2017

How about a compromise between methods? Top student in each class, then the other five top performing students from any class.

Otherwise, I'd ask if the kids are likely to know each other. It's nice to see people you know (and hopefully like) recognized, but if it's complete strangers you don't really care.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Nov 9, 2017

I honestly don't like this idea, but I would pick students from each class so students in the lower class can win the award as well.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 10, 2017

You said one reason you like to do this is because it recognizes students who haven’t been recognized previously. In that case, I would do the top two in each class. The lower performing classes will not really care about the awards if no one from their class is represented.

Ms.Holyoke and MissCeliaB like this.