which job is the best for preparing teacher intern?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sally0902, Mar 5, 2018.

1. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Mar 5, 2018

My major is math (secondary teaching plan), but I have some experiences on teaching kids (tutor for elementary school level). I do not have any degree on child education.
    My question is: if my major has nothing to do with child education, can I be a math elementary teacher?
    If I want to be a secondary teacher, which job is the best choice in order to apply intern program?
    1. math tutor in high school
    2. math tutor in elementary school
    3. teacher's assistant

Based on my experience, which way should be easier and faster for me to be a teacher?
    elementary school (have experiences but no major) or secondary school(have majored but no experiences)?
    Thank you so much

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 6, 2018

sally0902, I'm aware from what you've posted elsewhere that you plan to teach in California.

To teach in California, it IS necessary to have a bachelor's degree, but it is NOT necessary to have a bachelor's degree in education. Up until just the last couple of years, in fact, darned few California universities even offered undergraduate degrees in education (and most CSUs still don't). Instead, they offer post-bachelor's credential programs.

According to the state of California, you can be eligible to work as a day-to-day substitute if you possess any sort of bachelor's degree, once you've passed CBEST. Some districts choose to require that even day-to-day substitutes be credentialed; your local county office of education (COE), or in Orange County the Department of Education, can probably tell you which districts in your area require credentials for day-to-substitutes and which don't.

A Foundational-level Mathematics credential will license you to teach math and only math from grade K to the equivalent of grade 9 or Geometry I; a full Math credential will license you to teach math and only math from grade K through AP Calculus. If you want to teach in elementary school, what you need is a Multiple Subjects credential, because very few K-5 teachers in California teach just one subject.

Internship for teaching in California works differently than you think. You don't find a job and then see if it can be treated as an internship. Instead, a district that simply cannot find enough credentialed teachers in a specific subject area can apply to the state for permission to hire one or more intern teachers in that subject area; then the district advertises the job as an internship job. The intern teacher is the teacher of record for the class and is paid to teach - and is also expected to complete credential-type coursework, often through the CalTeach program, on top of the teaching load. Mathematics is an area of relatively high need, so it's possible that some districts in your area might need interns in math. The good people at your local COE can help you explore all the options; they tend to know which districts, if any, are likely to need a math teacher that badly, and if there aren't internships they can probably steer you toward grants or loan repayment programs that can help you through a credential program. You could also visit the local Cal State University school of education; I know of one that, even when the job market for teachers generally was horrible, kept offering an intensive summer math credential program for which the student teachers paid nothing and may even have received a stipend toward their living expenses.

Go ask, please, and don't forget to explain than you want to teach math.

4. sally0902

sally0902 Rookie

Mar 6, 2018

Thank you so much for the details and explanations. I will try to pass CBEST. I will go to COE to ask. Thank you so much. That is a lot of information!