Which is your favorite grade level to teach? Elementary? Middle school? High school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by alonzo9772, Sep 23, 2017.

1. alonzo9772

alonzo9772 New Member

Sep 23, 2017

I am now studying for my teaching license. I decided to do the EC-6th grade exam.

Anyone here that has taught in all 3 school levels?

The reason why I chose elementary school is because that is the stage in life before the children think of adults as idiots. Then once they get to 12 years old, they begin getting the whole "Whatever! You aren't the boss of me," attitude.

If I change my mind and would rather be around the tweens, I do have the option of switching to being a 6th grade teacher in a middle school.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2017

I'm totally elementary, but not for the reasons you have. I love teaching kids more than I love content. (And there is content I love)

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 23, 2017

High school juniors....the past three years 90% of my students have been juniors. They are the most mature group, without having the "senioritis" and slacking that comes up for them next year. It is also the year they seem to be most focused on school and doing well as they are really starting to think about applying to colleges next year. I do end up needing to write close to 50 letters of rec when I have this many juniors, but I enjoy it. It's a bit of an extra workload in that respect, but the process lets me get to know the students better and helps us to form stronger connections, not to mention I usually get a nice collection of Starbucks or other gift cards from them when they get into their colleges (just an added perk, of course!)

ms.irene, Bioguru and SageScience like this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 23, 2017

I haven't taught all levels, but I love elementary because I love the community that we can build by having the same kids all day, every day. They're just fun when they're young and relatively innocent.

I have occasionally thought that I'd enjoy high school simply because kids would be so much more independent in some areas, like self-care and problem-solving, but I just don't think that I could deal with their drama and attitudes. Plus, I don't really have any particular content area that I love at that level.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Sep 23, 2017

Only some of the parents present this.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 23, 2017

I've been loving middle school for a few years, but I have a group of 5th graders this year that I'm kind of loving. Begrudgingly. I don't know why. They can't DO anything and give me no reason to love them. They're just little puppies peeing all over the floor, but there's something appealing about growing them into people. However painstakingly long that takes. :eek:

8. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 23, 2017

I love teaching middle school. Not the easiest of age groups - some days they throw tantrums like young children and some days they show maturity beyond their years. But you can build such a good rapport with them and it's very satisfying watching them grow personally and academically.

9. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Habitué

Sep 24, 2017

Between all of my endorsements and licenses, I can actually teach Age 3 - Grade 12. I am the happiest in Preschool Special Education, followed closely by Primary Aged Special Education.

10. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 24, 2017

I've taught all three levels and I think my preference lies within the middle school years (people have questioned my sanity when I've shared this, lol!). I currently teach high school (9-12) and I find myself enjoying the 9th and 10th graders more than the upperclassmen. Maybe it's just my personality? I'm more of a nurturing personality and I think that's why I really liked middle school--they ate out of my hands. There's so much greatness about high school, though. I just feel like I'm stronger with the younger ones. I think eventually I will go back to the middle grades or maybe even try to teach 4th/5th grade. I'm so grateful for my experience in high school, though. It's helped me really learn how to teach my subject on a deeper level. It's made me a better teacher.

I did a stint of 1st and 2nd grade and that nearly killed me. I have MAD respect for those who teach early elementary. I love this age group, but not when I'm the one in charge ;) I'd rather hang out and play.

11. alonzo9772

alonzo9772 New Member

Nov 6, 2017

Middle school is such a pickle in the middle job. You don't have the small class size of 1 or 2 classes to teach for the day like elementary school. You also don't get the hour long lunch break such as with high school. That's why people give you the weird reactions.

12. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Nov 6, 2017

I'm certified in Elementary but have subbed all three levels. As far as long term teaching, my only experience is with elementary and I love it - I like the relationships I get to build with just the 20-26 kids in my class. I get to know the students really well and see how much they grow throughout the year.

With subbing though, I prefer middle school. They're still fun (HS has more drama and they scare me a little bit) and entertaining to be around. I like the fact that I don't have to teach 8 different things when I sub middle school. There are usually only 3 preps at most for the teachers I've subbed for, and I can really get a feel for the content (though there's very little actual teaching I'm required to do as a sub). I don't get to know kids much just because I'm a sub, but even then I have students I recognize and who recognize me, and those encounters are fun for me.

High school is mostly not for me just because they're bigger than me and most of them look older than me. I think if I ever got bored of elementary I could easily test into a secondary math or science certification and move up, but I don't know if I'd go any higher than middle school.

13. Lavanya

Lavanya Rookie

Nov 7, 2017

I love to teach elementary level , very interesting and lovely time with kids