Which credential should I attempt next

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by starflower32, Jun 17, 2019.

1. starflower32

starflower32 Rookie

Jun 17, 2019

I graduated with a degree in Political Science and so I pursued a Social Studies 4-8 credential. Well apparently everyone wants to teach social studies. The advice I received was to pursue another certification area like Special Education. I took my subject exam for Special Ed yesterday and I am eagerly awaiting the results.

If I passed the Special Education EC-12 certification, will I be able to apply for Special Education positions right away, or do I also need something like Core Subjects 4-8?

If I can apply for positions right away, what certifications should I attempt next to make myself as marketable as possible. I'd love to teach social studies and coach, but I want a job!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 17, 2019

We have a terrible time finding math teachers and language arts teachers for middle school.

4. starflower32

starflower32 Rookie

Jun 17, 2019

I'd take a language arts position in a heartbeat! I'm not as confident in my math skills and I'm a bit nervous that if I get my core subjects certification they would have me teach math. :grimacing:

5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 17, 2019

Since you mentioned coaching, perhaps P.E.?

6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 17, 2019

Yep, the market is flooded with social studies credentials, even in a critical needs area such as here.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 17, 2019

Not sure where you are, OP, or how you can acquire a special education certification without grad school, but hey, as someone who loves taking exams, I would be all for it. In NJ, you would need a minimum of 15 credits in any other certificate you want to go after. If you wanted to teach science, you would need 15 credits of science, the same for math, as well as ELA. As far as coaching, around here, you don't actually need to be a PE teacher to coach sports that you are well versed in.

Without knowing where you are, I can't give any real advice about "what next", since I don't know how your system does things.

8. starflower32

starflower32 Rookie

Jun 18, 2019

I’m in Central Texas. I understand some states require a Master’s Degree to teach Special Education. I believe Texas only requires a bachelors. I should get the results of my special education certification exam today. I want to teach in middle school, but I read that special education teachers should also get their Core subjects EC-6 and was wondering if I should get my Core Subjects 4-8 instead.

I’m going through an alternative certification program that will allow you to take any certification exam that you would like to take.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 18, 2019

Then take both, although since it is a K-12 certificate, I would think you would want something that covers the entire range in the core subjects. Maybe not now, but eventually.

futuremathsprof likes this.