Where to go next

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BioAngel, Aug 6, 2018.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 6, 2018

Hubby and I are talking about moving some where in the mid-west to get away from the craziness of New Jersey. Love the state, love my school, but we cant seem to make ends meet enough to be able to buy a house and have kids. His job will allow him to move to any location that the store he works for has a location, so he thinks this is really up to me.

I'm thinking about PA, Ohio, Michigan (we have family here), VA, or Tennessee. But I really have no idea where to go looking. I'd love to have another elementary or middle school science position, I'd be okay with technology too. I have an expired NY state license and my degree is in Adolescence education in biology (7-12) which means I can teach general science too. I'm open to moving to public schools, but am also looking at maybe staying in independent schools.

Any thoughts?

3. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 6, 2018

I might be biased, but Ohio is awesome! Cost of living is relatively low, and it is not impossible to find a teaching job. I'm not sure what your husband does, but jobs are increasing here in the industrial field as well, if that is something that interests him. I'm pretty sure that an Ohio teaching license is reciprocated a lot of states, as well.

Also, we have Ohio State, the Cavs (minus LeBron :(), the Indians, and the Browns (still love them, even if they didn't win a single game last year!) We Ohioans have A LOT of pride in our state!

BioAngel likes this.
  4. BioAngel

Aug 6, 2018

Thanks ssgirl11. My MIL highly recommended Ohio and it would be a mid-way point for both sets of parents (I think my parents would follow us though). Hubby works in retail but its a big chain and he has skills that he can use at other companies so he has choices. I wish we could just find the time to go out there and see what we like. I'm thinking that maybe we should get jobs, rent for a bit, and then settle down. Never lived in a different state so I'm kind of clueless about the process.

We are die hard Packers fans though... so no need to cheer for the Browns haha Hubby grew up in Michigan and his parents are from Wisconsin. I started enjoying football after we got married so I adopted his team.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 6, 2018

Highly recommend Ohio! I've lived in Cleveland, Akron, Toledo, and Columbus. Columbus is definitely my favorite. Jobs can be a little competitive, but science isn't quite as bad. Cost of living isn't bad; salaries are pretty decent.
    Renting for awhile would definitely help you figure out if you like it and what area you like! Feel free to PM with any specific questions you have.

BioAngel likes this.
  6. BioAngel

Aug 6, 2018

Thank you! I wouldn't be looking for this school year - already have a contract and totally not ready to pick up and move. But I will reach out to you as I get through this school year and look at my future.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  7. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 6, 2018

If you do choose to move to Ohio, don't mention the Michigan thing ;) Good luck!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 6, 2018

Hiring season around me is usually April-June for the most part, just so you know in case you do decide to move!

BioAngel likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 7, 2018

The REALLY good news is that it seems science teachers are more in demand than any other position I can think of, at least in central Ohio.

BioAngel likes this.
  10. BioAngel

Aug 7, 2018

HAHA So I've been told

ssgirl11 likes this.