Where do you send students to throw up? (warning: gross)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2013

I've generally told them to go outside.

Our room is carpeted, so if they throw up inside, we have literally have no classroom for the rest of the day.

Well, today, a kid had to throw up and headed outside, but only made it as far as the entrance to the door. He threw up all over the door, just outside the door, and all over the backpacks (room is too small for the kids to have them inside).

Needless to say, this caused some major problems. Door open - vomit. Door closed - vomit. I couldn't even remove the kids from the room because they would have to step through vomit to get outside.

Luckily the janitor was speedy with the cleanup.

But at least my kids were positive about it. As one student remarked "Wow, that kid's really good at barfing!"

3. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 11, 2013

Haha, good at barfing.

If a kid says they feel like throwing up, the policy at my school is to send them running to the bathroom.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2013

Lol. I just say go to the bathroom. Now. I had a girl throw up all over her group table this year. We moved the kids to the back table until the janitor could come in.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 11, 2013

LOL. I used to teach at an outdoor school, and we always had a few students who would make themselves throw up from homesickness. We told them to aim over the side of the deck, but I've seen vomit everywhere.

Maybe tell your students to aim for the trash can?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2013

Garbage can if it's imminent...I've handed kids an empty bucket to carry to nurse if they feel like they might on the way.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 11, 2013

Oh, I just remembered that I witnessed a barf episode when observing in a special ed classroom recently. It got all over the table and luckily only a little on the carpet. The adults clearly had their stuff together and took care of things at lightning speed. One took care of the sick kid, another moved the rest, remaining adults cleaned up the puke in about 30 seconds flat. Didn't even need to call the custodian. It was all very impressive.

I start gagging and dry heaving every time I see, hear, or smell puke. One of these days, I'm gonna break.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 11, 2013

I had a kid projectile vomit today. I was teaching hard and didn't even realize it until one of the kids told me. He was just sitting there holding his face and it was EVERYWHERE. (Like 15 feet across the room.) I was trying hard to be a grownup. I got papertowels to him, convinced him to get up and go to the bathroom. Then I called the office. The kids were troopers and we were going to hang tough, then the smell hit and I started gagging. One of the girls near the desk started heaving and that was it. We got our papers and pencils and headed to the hall. I taught in the hall about 20 minutes while the janitor cleaned and the "air freshener" thinned out some. It was rough!!! lol My principal laughed at me, though, when she came by and saw kids lining both sides of the hall sitting there taking notes about the layers of Earth. :D

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 11, 2013

Garbage! Bathroom!

I am equally sensitive to vomit....even the word makes me irked. :unsure: I had a kid throw up in the middle of the carpet last year. He wasn't sitting on the side of course....right in the MIDDLE. He caught most of it in his hands and his lap.

And, I die. :eek:

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Mar 11, 2013

What? Why would you not be able to use the classroom for the rest of the day? I've never heard of such a thing. :dizzy:

I've always taught in carpeted classrooms and whenever someone vomits, the custodian comes, sprinkles some "baking soda type stuff" on the floor, vacuums it up, and uses an enzyme-based cleaner to remove the stains and/or smells. This whole process takes about 15-20 minutes MAX. During the time the janitor is cleaning the room, I take the kids out to recess.

I have several kids throw up each year and it's no big deal (there have been times, though, that I've had to throw away textbooks or other materials when kids have thrown up all over their desks).

11. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Mar 11, 2013

I grab a garbage, put it in the line of fire (and in their hands) and send them to the nearest "safe place" to barf, usually the bathroom. I did have to send a kid outside once. Luckily our classroom had an exterior door. I have also seen a child barf all the way down the hall, leaving a trail behind her (no garbage can avail.) The janitor didn't appreciate that, but he did appreciate that I got her off the carpeted floor just before the eruption!

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2013

I think it's only happened in my classroom once in 6 years. He tried to go to the bathroom, but only made it to the doorway.

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 12, 2013

I grab the garbage can. So far everyone has made it to the bathroom. This has been a bad year for the flu. Throwing up means the school nurse will call home. Most parents will come pick up their kids. If not, one hour in the Nurse's room and then they're back in the classroom with a face mask:( Not Good.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Mar 12, 2013

The garbage can if they can't make it to the bathroom. I also send a bucket with them.

If they only make it to the garbage, it becomes quite the spectacle in a grade 1 classroom. I am not bothered by it, but 16 others need to gather around to watch.

15. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Mar 12, 2013

I had this kid once when I taught K who asked to use the bathroom. Said his tummy didn't feel well. He went to the bathroom and stayed and stayed and stayed. When he came out, this awful smell followed him. I asked if he was okay and with a smile he proclaimed yes. The stench got worse so I shut the bathroom door and asked again if he was okay to which he replied with another smile "yes". I sent him to the office to be on the safe side and asked for some help from the custodial staff for the bathroom. The custodian came and had to literally, clothespin his nose to get in the bathroom to get it cleaned and smelling better with Lysol. The kid had a bad case of the stomach flu. While the bathroom was a mess, he did as he claimed "feel better" because he got it all out. It was funny, but smelled awful.

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2013

Another reason I like PE. I just tell them do not throw up on my feet or the basketball court. I tell them over there in the grass and it will make a nice green spot like being fertilized.

17. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Mar 12, 2013

The rule in my room is no throwing up. I cannot handle it. My kids are middle schoolers and I always tell them that if they're going to throw up, they're to get up and out the door without bothering to ask permission.

I'm also a little lucky in that my room is directly across from the washrooms.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 12, 2013

I had a student in grade one several years ago who was in tears. I was just about to crouch down in front of her to ask her what was wrong (it was unusual for her) when out came the vomit. She just missed me. I think I've dealt with puke enough times now that it doesn't bother me too much. I can often relieve some of the embarrasment by telling them about how I threw up in my 4th grade teacher's purse. (She had it coming, of course... but I don't tell the kids that :D)

19. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 12, 2013

When I was in third grade, I threw up all over my teacher's gradebook. :whistle:

20. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 12, 2013

:clap:

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 12, 2013

Most of my students can't make it to the bathroom if they need to throw up. Iit usually ends up in trash can and the custodians come and take it away.