Where do Teachers buy professional clothes?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by teacher girl, Jul 22, 2013.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

I am a first year sped teacher, I want to make a good impression, not sure if I should wear suits everyday or if I should wear casual business attire.

But I want to know, What stores should I find my clothes ( Macys, Target, New York Lerner, etc)? Where do teachers find clothes of good quality? ( I want to look professional as if I were a principal or something)

3. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jul 22, 2013

I've never been in a school where ANYONE wears suits, but of course your school environment may different. I'd say, though, you won't need to wear a suit every day to make a good impression. I'll let others provide clothing advice. :) (I'm no good at that.)

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

My best teacher clothes (from when I was still in a traditional classroom and now when I attend professional meetings and student-attended events) are from Macy's. I like the selection, and I love that their petite section has pants the correct length for my short legs. I'm a big fan of DKNY in particular for its business-casual polish.

Honestly, I would try on Target clothing and move around in the dressing room before you buy it. I've found the tops are too low and cannot be worn without a tank top beneath them. Very disappointing.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

I usually go to JC Penney. I find that Learner NY clothes are cut a little too close for teaching and if I go a size up they are too big. I don't wear a suit, but I teach in a tropical climate and my principal doesn't even wear suits. Kohls is good too.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I shop at Loft, NY and Co, and Gap mainly. I've never taught in a suit, but then my P is usually found in just pants, shirt, and tie.

7. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

I shop at Macy's, Gap, Ann Taylor LOFT, Banana Republic and Target. My P usually dresses as casually as we do, except she wears a suit jacket with most outfits. I don't know the climate of your school (i.e. how professional it is) but I don't think you need to wear a suit. You'll look out of place and feel uncomfortable.

I usually wear dress pants (in neutral colors like black, gray, navy, or khaki...sometimes I do wear the pants that go along with my one suit!) and some sort of blouse. I like tops that have a fun pattern, so that I can keep jewelry to a minimum. Then I wear flats...always flats! My feet do not do well in heels for very long! I usually wear my hair down and straight, and wear makeup. My makeup is noticeable enough to separate me from the students and make me look older, but neutral enough not to look like a clown!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I like Dress Barn for dresses!

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I shop at LOFT, Dress Barn, JC Penney, GAP, and a few local places. Usually I have on slacks, a blouse, and a cardigan. Sometimes I have on a dress and a cardigan. Sometimes a skirt, a top, and a cardigan. Always with flats.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I don't really care about brands or stores. If I see it and I like it, I buy it. I have a $10 shirt from Walmart that I often wear with $80 dress pants from The Limited. Whatever works!

If you have the money to spend all at once, Anne Taylor and Macy's would be where I would head.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I love Banana Republic and J. Crew outlet stores. I can usually find a good deal on quality clothes at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Steinmart. My favorite pants for work are the editor pants from Express.

I actually find a lot of really good work tops at Goodwill.

Shoes... well, I'm a fan of Danskos. No more back pain. Definitely invest in quality, comfortable shoes - whatever brand that might be for you.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 22, 2013

Macy's, Kohls, and JCPenny's are my top stores. I also find things at Old Navy and Target sometimes, especially tanks/camis and plain basics. One thing to consider is that you may be very physical in a SPED position, sitting on the floor, picking children up, etc...

13. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

Ann Taylor LOFT is my favorite place. They offer teacher discounts, plus, if you sign up for their credit card, you get extra discounts! They have had some great sales lately, too.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

15. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

I've never seen a teacher in a suit, both when I was a student and now that I am a teacher! For me, personally, I wear normal clothes--but I like the "slightly" dressed up look. I usually wear black or grey flared slacks (usually from Express or Victoria Secret) with a blouse/knitted top of some sort. But I'd also wear that at any other job or going out to shop, etc. My appearance, I'd say, is generally figure flattering, but always appropriate, so sometimes a knitted top or something has to have a cami underneath or a cardigan or something over the arms. I actually like that option because then if I really like a top, I'll still buy it and then fine something to help make it school appropriate--usually that means buying even more, lol :)

My clothes generally come from places like Venus, Boston Proper, Macys, Express, JcPenney, and my all-time favorite Maurices. I only shop Victoria Secret clothing line for their slacks, which are pricey but definitely cute. I am 5'2", so their 30" inseams work wonderfully for me.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jul 22, 2013

Is there any way you can find out the school dress code before you spend lots of money? We live in a tropical climate and most people dress for comfort. Light dresses or skirts, casual pants and tops, etc. I teach SPED and I chose non dressy, easy to clean items.

17. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Jul 22, 2013

I agree with this. You should have some nice clothes for student teaching...I would stick with those for the first couple weeks of school. Once you see what others are wearing if you want to buy new clothes you have a better idea of what you should get. I have personally never seen a school where teachers wear suits either and I would definitely not go that route.

Some of my favorite "teacher clothes" have come from NY & Co. Macy's has some really nice stuff but as for buying an entire wardrobe there it's way out of my budget. I got my interview clothes from Macy's. They were really nice, but I would not spend that much on an outfit just for every day teaching.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Yes, try to wear nice clothes for at least the first week until you see what others are wearing in the school. Don't spend a ton of money all at once until you figure out your own teacher style!

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2013

My principal is a man, and he always wears a suit. The teachers do not dress as nicely as he does.

I typically wear khaki/docker type pants (I don't like the flowy dress pants) and a nice shirt. I like skirts and dresses as well. I agree with a PP - shoes are VERY important! Comfortable shoes are key when you're teaching.

I have a LOT of cardigans - both short sleeved and long sleeved. These allow me to mix and match and layer. I loved short sleeved cardigans because I can wear them over sleeveless dresses or shirts.

My favorite store is LOFT, but I usually like their outlet better (different line of clothes), or shopping online - they have great deals sometimes! My second favorite is Land's End - they have really made their clothing line a lot "younger" and they have some really cute, high quality stuff. I get shirts and cardigans from a variety of places - Kohls, Target, JC Penney, or wherever! I like the stuff at Macy's, but it's pricey. Outlet stores are great for teacher clothes, by the way!

20. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

I actually love the gap suit pants and then usually find nice tops and cardigans at old navy. Banana republic factory store usually has good sales (nice tops for $15 the other week) . The clothing washes well and has lasted me over two years so that's Impt to me.

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2013

I love Christopher and Banks!!!