Where do get my credential (CA)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genevieve, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Genevieve

Genevieve Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

I would love some feedback because I'm going back and forth and would love to hear from people who are in the actual trenches here. :)

I live in California and want to be a high school science teacher. Unfortunately, I'm limited to online only programs right now because I don't have anyone who can watch my 2 kids during night classes. I'm looking for speed and cost as factors because my ex has agreed to help support us for 1 year while I get this done but we'll also be living with my parents during that time. Going to be fun! Ha!

I'm looking at WGU and CalState Teach as options - they would both get me a multi-subject credential and then I would probably work for a year or two in elementary while taking the one class I need to get my single subject credential. Fairly equal in cost (depending on how long it takes me to get this done) with CalState Teach having a slightly higher cost but the ability to get an internship (if I can find one) after the first semester. I will be living in Colton (near Riverside and San Bernardino) for the year and from what I've been looking at so far, most school districts have enough credentialed applicants that they aren't accepting internships in my area (though I haven't investigated every single school district).

The two options look like this:

1) WGU: Cost will be about $7000 total, for two 6-month periods. I will have to work my ass off starting June 1 to get all the classes done to do my student teaching in January. IF I don't finish in December, I'll have to do student teaching in September so the cost will be another $3500ish for a total of $9500. No internship option but a possibility of being done in June 2019.

2) CalState Teach: Cost will be about $10,000 for 3 semesters, ending in August 2019 IF I can find student teaching options in the summer (year-round schools, there are a few left and they are close to my parents, so a possibility). Otherwise, I will finish in December after doing Student Teaching starting in September. I would potentially qualify for grants, so likely the cost will be about equal to WGU's 6-month option. In January 2019 I will have the ability to have an internship if I can find one. Just not sure if they are out there. I don't live close enough to the LAUSD to make their internship classes in Downey a viable option.

I'm also concerned about getting a job from one vs the other. Are both well-respected? Is there any other downside I'm not seeing? Is it worth doing an option that could let me get an internship (which would be ideal so I could move out of my parents house) vs only a student teaching option? I'm literally flip-flopping as I work on my application requirements for both. Studying for my multi-subject CSET tests now and I will need to pass all three by mid-June but once Spring Break is over, that's all I'll be doing is studying so I feel like this is completely possible. Any insight is appreciated!!! Also, other online programs I'm missing? I don't want to pay much more than the $10k that CalState Teach would cost so National and Brahman are out.

3. Genevieve

Genevieve Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Also, sorry for the error in the title lol! Typing too fast haha.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 6, 2018

Go with WGU. Trust me.

5. Genevieve

Genevieve Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Did you go there? Do you think it's possible to finish their program in the 6-7 months I'd have to do "demonstration teaching" in January?

6. futuremathsprof

Apr 6, 2018

It is entirely possible because you can work at your own pace. This dramatically cuts down on the cost and time it takes to complete the program. And since I already worked at a private school, I was able to teach in my own classroom for student teaching! I just was mentored by a fully-credentialed teacher at the school when I did the pre-clinical experiences and the demonstration teaching portions of the program.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  7. Genevieve

Genevieve Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

What a neat thing that is! I hadn't though student teaching could be done at a private school. I will look into that as an option. I figure my full time job will be taking kids to school and doing my school work, period from June until December. Summer will be challenging since my kids will be out of school but not impossible if I am learning while we go to the park etc.

8. futuremathsprof

Apr 6, 2018

The student teaching can be done at a private school so long as certain criteria are met: 1) the school has to be WASC-accredited, 2) your mentor teacher must be fully credentialed to teach in public schools, 3) you have to observe a fully-credentialed teacher for 60 hours and write a report for each lecture (for your pre-clinicals, which is what you do BEFORE student teaching), 4) you must teach a variety of learners (ELL/ESL students, students with accommodations, students with learning differences, high achievers, medium achievers, low achievers, etc.) All of these criteria were met and so WGU approved my placement there. Hopefully, this helps.

This was perfect for me because teachers typically don’t get paid when they student teach, but I was paid my full salary when I student taught. This enabled me to pay for the whole program without taking out a single loan!

By the way, I only paid about $4,000 for my program because I accelerated it. I already knew most of the material so I just took the pretest, passed in the 90s for each one, then took the final and again passed in the 90s for each. And once you finish a final you can immediately start the next class after getting approved by your student mentor.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  9. Genevieve

Genevieve Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

The only way I could pay only $4000 for my program is to do it ALL in 6 months and I wouldn't be qualified to do the student teaching portion in September. September and January are all they have. I doubt I could get it all done in June/July and actually be ready for September's student teaching. I do not have a teaching background, but I'm really good (or used to be when I was in school!) at studying so I'm very much hoping to take the classes very quickly. However if I were employed, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it took me more time as I could pay for the schooling by working - always a win. I have no idea how likely it is I can get a private school position, but it certainly isn't going to hurt to try.

10. nhatmeister

nhatmeister New Member

Jan 11, 2019

Genevieve, I'm now in very similar situation as you...Did you pick WGU and how is it going ?