Where are all the 5th grade teachers?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by mrsammieb, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 3, 2014

Hey... how's it going!

I know some of you may still be in school... but let's chat about the first days of school. What is your first day plans?? I'm new to 5th grade. Well, sorta new but it has been a while since teaching 5th. I'd love to hear how you start the year?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 3, 2014

I start with procedures, routines, and team building.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 3, 2014

I start with some get to know you activities, and team building. I also go over procedures.
    I do the first 20 days by Fountas and Pinnell, and Responsive Classroom as well.

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 4, 2014

I need to review the Fountas and Pinnell 20 days. I may need to look over Harry Wongs book too!

6. Miss_V_5

Miss_V_5 Rookie

Jun 4, 2014

I'm not sure.. Just found out that I will be teaching just math next year. I'll definitely go over policy and procedures, but I'm not sue what skill building activities I'll do yet. Times multiplication tests for sure.

7. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 6, 2014

I am moving back to 5th grade year, after teaching 4th this past year. I've been in the school for 8 years, so I know the kiddos and families really well- I've had several of the siblings. I don't really need to do get to know you activities simply because the kids all know each other. It is a small private school, so they are always together.Since they are new to this end of the building, I will spend ALOT of time on procedures. They have lockers this year so they have to learn to stay organized, and will have 1 new teacher for 2 classes. I'm sure I will do some free writing samples and a classroom scavenger hunt, but other than that, I haven't started thinking.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014

I will begin with my simple class rules which includes assigning a job to each student for the entire school year and go right into teaching of Daily 5-Read to Self. We begin building our independent reading stamina from day 1 until we are able to successfully sustain 30 minutes of Read to Self time. Along with developing the first of our Daily 5's, we will go over lexile levels ( I will make sure each child is aware of their level) and how to use Lexile.com. to find levels of independent reading books. Students will be assigned the task of bringing to school daily an independent reading book of their own choosing. This can be fiction or non-fiction. We will create Read to Self notebooks where students will generate a list of Reading Response Topics for their Reading Notebooks. We will make sure to differentiate between topics for fiction VS non-fiction books. We will establish guidelines for writing in our Reading Notebooks. We will practice writing responses using books we've read. This will provide opportunities for writing in class as well as at home. I find that this can take the entire morning Language Arts block the first two weeks of school. I like to practice and model classroom procedures and rules as we progress through the days.
    My Science and Social Studies classes will be introduced to my classrooms procedures and rules and then we will immediately go into setting up our interactive notebooks for Science and Social Studies. I will present an introductory slide show of Interactive Notebooks then give them the Standards and Unit Topic for the right input side. They will respond with a creative showing of what they already know about the topic and standard on the left output side. We will discuss their output on day 2 and go right into our lesson on day 3. By the end of the first week, I expect to be up and running with routines, procedures, and rules for the year. 5th graders are incredibly independent yet thrive on rules and procedures!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2014

I taught 5th for many years, all subjects except science. I also taught math for all middle school grades. Now that you know you can focus on just math, make up a file of some valuable math games to review skills.

A fun first-day activity since the kids won't know you already, is to give a quiz about yourself. Joke that it will count towards a grade! Make it true/false and include questions like, Teacher _____ has 4 brothers, your favorite color, and any other details you can think of - like what instrument you played, etc. My students always loved this and we had lots of laughs when we went over the answers together.

10. Newteacherms

Newteacherms Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

NEw to 5th

Ive have been teaching 6th grade for 2 years, its the only subject Ive taught and found out on Monday that I will now be a 5th grade ELA teacher and grade chair...I dont even know where to start any ideas????:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

11. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Sep 7, 2014

Honestly, I work all the procedures and routines into a normal day of teaching. I teach. We practice lining up and all that stuff during the day of the normal teaching day; the earlier I can get them on routine and on task, the better.

12. Mabore

Mabore New Member

Dec 7, 2014

Am looking for a grade 5 educator I could colaborate with in planning Maths Lessons integrated with technology. Ive been teaching for 20 years now but using traditional teaching methods.