When you're just not a neat and tidy person...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 12, 2018

Today I tackled one of my housekeeping goals and that was to declutter and clean my laundry room.

It's... a nightmare. The positive is I'm getting all warm and fuzzy (inside in the good way) from hacking away at this jungle.

The negative is the mess. Spiders. Mouse poop. We recently had a mouse problem we're tackling fairly well but there are still reminders here and there. Old clothes. All sorts of "What the heck is wrong with you as a human being, Backroads?!"

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 12, 2018

I would be getting rid of a lot of things if I found mouse poo!

Backroads likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2018

I feel your pain. I’m super neat at school, but let the storage parts of my home get too cluttered.

I’ve been cleaning out a storage room at one of our houses. I’ve been ruthless and have reduced the things in there by 90%. I’m going to attack the closets and pantry next. I will run out of steam by the time I get to old teaching stuff out in the shop, so that may have to wait a few weeks. I’m severely allergic to dust and various other things so I have to wear a mask and gloves. I think I could be so much faster without them but then I run the risk of anaphylaxis, so slow it is!

Maryhf and Backroads like this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2018

I think you are my sister from another mother! I have come to embrace the fact that I have strengths and weaknesses - clutter is one of my weaknesses. You can beat yourself up over it, or just accept it for the challenge it will always be, and use as many skills as possible to cope to the best of your ability. For me, that includes hiring people to pick up the slack when dealing with my deficits. I have some very strong strengths that I can be proud of. It doesn't make me a bad person if I find others who excel in my areas of deficit. Know you are not alone, and then turn loose of any guilt about being less than perfect, and own justifiable pride in your strengths. I, for one, love your honesty!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    bella84 and Backroads like this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 12, 2018

Oh, the bin...

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2018

My house is in the country. It’s a struggle to keep mice and scorpions out of the house and rats out of the shop/barn.

But, every once in a while, I’ll go out and a mother deer has hidden her fawn in the shrubbery and I get to watch it through the window. That makes up for the fight against rodents!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2018

I always have the house uncluttered, but you probably don't want to look behind or under furniture. That doesn't get cleaned as often. For several months it seemed like we always had dirt, straw, or acorns in the floor. We had just finished construction, and grass hadn't grown. Every time the dogs came in, there was dirt or straw. And they really loved acorns. They brought them inside.

We live in a rural area, so we sometimes get mice, spiders, and snakes. We had a 6' rat snake at the bedroom door (outside) a few weeks ago.

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 18, 2018

When my grandma died and we cleaned out her house we found a lot of mouse poop. I half wanted to clean it up with a hazmat suit because Hauntavirus is common in our area. :eek:

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 18, 2018

Nope, nope, nope! I’ll take -30C for three months every year if it means there aren’t snakes in my house!!!

I am a minimalist, almost to a fault. I often get rid of things and then regret it later. But I really only own what I need & use regularly.