When to Stop Interviewing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Xidous003, May 29, 2012.

1. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 29, 2012

My question is very basic. I have been given a job verbally, but no contract. Is it ok to keep interviewing until you sign a written contract? I don't wanna get a 'fast one' pulled on me is all.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 29, 2012

Keep interviewing until you have a contract. I had an HR person tell me once a principal circumvented his authority and told someone they were hired. I guess the position fell through but only after the person had quit their current job.

4. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

May 29, 2012

Congrats on the offer! I agree with AlwaysAttend. When I did my student teaching, a few of the teachers warned me to be wary until I had a signed contract because sometimes things fall through. I'd say keep interviewing.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 29, 2012

I agree to keep interviewing...some Ps will not hire you once they know you have an offer (a P once told me my word is too important to go back on it), but until you have that formal paperwork, its a good idea to keep trying! Things fall through at times and you want to take care of yourself.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 29, 2012

I say keep interviewing. Unless you get something in writing, you're not contractually obligated to anything. Better to keep interviewing on the small chance something falls through.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 29, 2012

Agreeing with PPs. Get it in writing before you stop interviewing.

8. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

May 29, 2012

Yes, keep interviewing until there is a contact!!!!! Things can fall through. I had a job offer retracted 2 hours before the contract signing because the current teacher decided to stay at the last minute. I am still kicking myself for having wasted 2 weeks of not applying to jobs or interviewing. Lesson learned! Until it's in writing, keep your options open!

9. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 29, 2012

Yes, keep interviewing until you sign!

10. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 30, 2012

There are lots of steps after the P offers the job, usually a school board has to approve you or the superintendent. So I would definitely keep trying, then contact any school you interview with once you have the actual contract.

11. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

What is the policy for nearby districts? Meaning, accepting a verbal offer and then continuing to interview in the same or nearby districts. I assume principals talk to each other - wouldn't there be some kind of fallout if word got out that I was continuing to interview after already accepting a verbal offer? (Hypothetically speaking, for now :) )

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

Congrats on the offer, but keep interviewing just in case.

13. reddies88

reddies88 Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

I am in the same situation. I have verbally agreed to teach at one school, but have an interview with my "dream district" tomorrow. What if I fall in love with that school? Wouldn't it be tacky to withdraw my "agreement" at the first school?

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

It happens all the time. Until you have a signed paper, don't cancel anything. This is a case where you need to look out for yourself and make sure that you have a job in the fall.

15. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

Is a letter of intent (since all district contracts are still being negotiated) good enough to stop interviewing?

Sorry for all the questions - I think I've read to many horror stories here to feel safe without a contract.

16. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 20, 2012

Now you all have me worried! I haven't signed my contract yet, but I have keys to the building, and was able to move stuff into my classroom. I am waiting for everything to finalize with HR, which should be by this or next week.

I know the principals in districts talk, so if I was given a verbal in one district, I would not go to other interviews in that district.