When to get a sub and when not to....

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by historyteacher09, Feb 15, 2017.

1. historyteacher09

historyteacher09 Rookie

Feb 15, 2017

I have been feeling pretty bad the past day or so... head cold, cough, sore throat.

Should I only miss school if I have a fever or am throwing up? I went today and it was fine but was a struggle because of how I was feeling. When is it ok to get a sub? (I'm a first year who just started so I really don't know)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Feb 15, 2017

Fever and/or needing proximity to the bathroom are reasons to stay home.

If you are so sick that you are miserable and can't function, stay home.

ms.irene and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2017

Don't go to school until you've been fever and vomit free for 24 hours.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. FrankFromFranklin

FrankFromFranklin Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

I feel you on this.I am a first year teacher also. I haven't been afraid to use my sick days. It is tough because we are a very small school and getting substitutes here is difficult, so teachers generally have to spend a plan period every now and then covering class. We have an awful flu going around, we have had about 3 teachers per day out this week, along with tons of students. I am getting a bit of a bug, but trying to hold out

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 17, 2017

If you haven't used a sick day since you started, there's no reason you can't use one now. I would definitely stay home if you feel you're highly contagious. Take the day and see if you can get checked by your doctor. If it's just a cold then at least you can get a day's rest but if it's something more serious you're better off getting some antibiotics sooner rather than later.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Feb 17, 2017

I stayed home one day last week. I wasn't on my deathbed, but I was losing my voice and I knew if I tried to plow through, I would make myself even worse. Take the day off if you need to -- just be prepared to return the favor if someone covered for you!

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 17, 2017

One day about 2-3 weeks ago, I couldn't really diagnose anything, but I was just having weird issues. I can't really explain what it was, but the thought of going to school that day was unbearable, so I just stayed home. It might have just been exhaustion. I slept the entire day, so I figure I made the right choice. The sick days are for your use. Don't be afraid to use them when you need to.

For me it's usually a matter of weighing what is more painful: writing a sub plan, or just going to school and toughing it out. Writing the sub plan tends to win out in the pain category (they suck) so I usually just go to school.