when to divulge acceptance into principal cert program

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Jul 8, 2012.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

So, I just snagged a great job with a great district. They are excited to have me and I am excited to be there. I start at the end of August.

I was accepted into a principal certification program at a respected nearby university. I am so excited for it. It's uber expensive because it's a great university, but I know it will be worth it.

I hope to start my own school someday, but in the meantime know that I need administrative experience prior to doing that, which is why I applied to the principal cert program. I kind of did it knowing it was a long shot to get accepted, then I got accepted and couldn't believe it.

I am terrified that if I tell my new school that I'm in a principal cert program, they'll think I'm out the door when I complete it (which I don't have plans to be...?)

Also I don't want to catch them off guard and say, "Hey, I need 10 hours a week doing internship stuff for my principal cert program" and them be like, "Why didn't you tell us that when you got hired?"

So, I know it's an HONOR to be accepted into this program... but also don't want to rock the boat before I start my new job?

How/when do I bring it up to them? (If it weren't for the internship component, I wouldn't need to bring it up at all, but the program requires a certain number of hours doing an "internship" with a principal, which can be work done outside school hours, on my prep, etc., I wouldn't miss any class as far as I know...)

Thoughts? :help:

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 8, 2012

I have no experience in this area to offer but I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goal of opening a school.

When talking with the principal they may even be excited for you and make an effort to mentor you.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I would just tell them the truth. That you applied to the principal cert program knowing it was a long shot to get accepted, but that you have been. Stress to them that you don't have any plans to become a principal in the very near future, but that you do need 10 hours a week for the program. I think they'll be ok with working with you on that!

Congrats!

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 8, 2012

The way you explained it here would be the way I would explain it to them.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

Would this be an e-mail discussion or an in-person discussion do you think? Because I won't be really "in person" with them until school starts?

Great tips, thanks~!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 8, 2012

In person.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

Many, many teachers here are being certified...lots of new teachers, even. Just tell them when you next see them. Congrats. :)

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

Does your internship start right away? If so, try to talk to your principal as soon as possible. Mine wasn't until the end of my program. Many teachers get principal certification, so I don't think they'll think you're leaving right away.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2012

Definitely an in person conversation. Just be honest with your principal and let him/her know that you are not planning to move into administration right away.