When the "good kid" has had enough

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2005
    Jan 13, 2018

I had a miserable experience in 7th grade science because I was used as a buffer between the bad kids. I'd been with the same 25 kids from first to sixth grade, and we had no real serious troublemakers in my group. When we combined all five elementary groups, there were plenty of them. I was quiet and did my work, and I ended up by the hoodkums every time. And one in particular bothered me all the time. I never said anything to the teacher because I didn't think it would do any good.

I think about that every time I try to make a new seating chart to curb issues.
    Backroads, futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  2. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Aug 21, 2016
    Jan 13, 2018

Is this really the language you two really wanna be using to describe an autistic child?! Jesus Christ, help us all.

I also do not believe in the whole heterogeneous or mixed ability grouping. While I can see this strategy working in some cases, I believe it would be detrimental for the behaving/more focused/higher ability students. And thus, only demotivate the higher motivated student to achieve.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  3. a2z

a2z Phenom

Sep 16, 2010
    Jan 13, 2018

It is wrong to not move her seat.

You need to move her. It isn't fair. If this child is such a disturbance to others, the child needs an island of his own to eliminate the distraction to others.
    futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.