When students need to wake up

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Sep 6, 2018.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 6, 2018

Do you ever have a day when students seem like they're half awake?

My students are fairly good this year, but sometimes it seems like they're checked out.

What do you do in the middle of a lesson, usually at the end of the day or right after lunch, when students are just not engaged?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 6, 2018

I can start with a few strategies I use:
    -turn and talk (useful as long as they stay on topic)
    -take a stretch break (not always good if admin happens to come by)
    -amp up the pace and make things more challenging

Although I have my own "tool box", I'm curious what others do.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 7, 2018

I try to get them moving if I can. I do four corners activities when possible. For example, we always do that with anticipation guides and even when reviewing questions from independent work. We do an around the world type game when we're reviewing that gets them up. I'll also occasionally break out a riddle and have them get into groups to solve it.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 7, 2018

I do four corners or turn and talk mostly. Sometimes we use standing desks. I have three, and I can get a couple of kids at each.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2018

It's unfortunate that this might be a problem; we are expected to incorporate physical activity into our day outside of recess and gym. Our students have gym twice/week; on the days they don't have gym, we must have at least 20 minutes of physical activity in our classrooms.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2018

Is there a law about this in your state? I wish we had a requirement like that.

We had longer periods last year, and it was easier to take movement breaks. This year, I have students for a really short time, so any breaks have to be really short too.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2018

Four Corners is a good one! I've done that in previous years too but kind of forgot about it.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2018

How do you use four corners with an anticipation guide?

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2018

I'm in Ontario, but yes, it is an expectation set out by the Provincial Ministry Education as part of our Healthy Schools expectations.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 7, 2018

With my anticipation guides, they choose if they strongly agree, agree, disagree, or strongly disagree with each statement and choose why. I then make each corner one of those choices. I read the statement and then they move to what they picked. I usually have a couple volunteer to share why they picked it before moving on to the next one. They really enjoy debating with each other, so it can get intense sometimes! It's cool though because sometimes kids will say something another kid hadn't thought about and then they end up switching their opinion.

otterpop, Upsadaisy and ms.irene like this.
  12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Sep 8, 2018

Many teachers at my school use gonoodle as brain breaks. For my second graders, it was awesome to get them moving for a short time and if they were too energetic we could do a relaxing video instead of energizing (or start with an energizing and end with relaxing).

bella84 likes this.
  13. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Sep 8, 2018

I usually change directions with the lesson structure, when I am doing whole-group instructions. I am constantly having students rotate academic groups.
    Then again, the flexibility of my classroom allows for the constant rotations and movement. Movement breaks are also a requirement for some students.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 8, 2018

can you and/or @Ima Teacher explain four corners please? I've heard it mentioned several times and don't know exactly what it is.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 8, 2018

It’s really simple. You pose a question, and students stand in the corner that has the position with which they agree.