When should I start looking for a job? Current Temp Teacher

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by alp123, Jan 26, 2018.

1. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Jan 26, 2018

Hi All,

Just wondering...I'm currently a temp teacher covering for a teacher who went on maternity leave until the end of the year. I really love the school, grade level, staff but I don't want to assume that they're going to hire me, although I would love it if they did! There seem to be a lot of temp teachers at this school/district. I'm not sure if this teacher is returning. I was told that I would have to re-apply for openings for next school year in April if there are any open positions. Should I keep my options open and apply with other districts that are starting to hire now? I've never been in this position so not sure what to do or expect. Any thoughts?

TIA:)

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Companion

Jan 26, 2018

I suggest that you apply for many jobs, in order to increase the potential for getting hired/being interesting in.
    It is always best to search around and consider numerous jobs in the teaching field.
    Remember that you can always turn down a teaching job, if you found a greater one or feel it would be overwhelming.
    Always go with your preferences and the job with the highest success possibility.

4. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Jan 26, 2018

Thanks for the input. I would love to work for this district but it's tough to get into. Should I tell the P I'm looking or ask for a reference letter? They seem really happy with me. I'm sure I will need to leave for interviews, how should I handle that?

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Companion

Jan 26, 2018

If you have knowledge that they are friendly, then ask for a reference letter. If they support you, then they will understand that you need to thrive. If you need to leave interviews, you will probably have to take a personal day or leave early/arrive late....arrange for subs. Who knows, maybe the Principal will promote....go with what YOU want. After all, it is YOUR LIFE AND YOUR CHOICE TO THRIVE. In addition, IT IS YOUR CHOICE TO DETERMINE HOW YOU WANT TO THRIVE.
    Good luck on expanding your teaching horizon. Now, if you want to know about my wild ride of different grades/settings/levels/courses, please feel free to ask (or don't, not everyone cares about my experience.)

alp123 likes this.