When is the best time to get pregnant?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by moran8198, Aug 17, 2006.

1. moran8198

moran8198 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I'm a first year teacher starting this September. I'm 28 years old and am getting concerned about when would be the best time to become pregnant. I know some people probably think I'm crazy for thinking this when I'm starting off my first year, and I'm non tenured. Problem is that I may have difficulty conceiving due to a medical reason. So, I'm worried that if I put it off for too long, I may regret. I would go back to work after the six week period, I don't think I'd be able to take family leave. But, I'm scared of being let go. I don't want to take time off my first year, so I'm not sure if planning it for the summer is the best way to go. I'm so confused. Any advice?

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

My husband and I are currently trying to conceive. I'm hoping to get pregnant and have the baby May, June, and July. But whatever happens, happens. I also have a medical problem that gives me problems with getting pregnant.

4. moran8198

moran8198 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

are you non tenured

5. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Aug 17, 2006

My advice is don't let your school schedule dictate the time you get pregnant. The decision of when you will have a baby is often not your own. It took me over a year to get pregnant with my third child and that was with some minor medical intervention and a lot of prayer. The school that doesn't understand that is probably not the best place for a working mom any way. Life is too short to let a job dictate your life! Sorry you hit my soap box!
    Good Luck!

6. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 17, 2006

Don't let your work schedule ruin what will be a very special time in your life. Planning is certainly a good idea but be prepared for the fact that you may get pregnant outside of your planning window. This happened to my best friend. She became pregnant 3/4 of the way through our third year of teaching and unfortunately still had not accumulated enough sick days to take off the amount of time she'd hoped to. To make matters worse she wound up on bed rest 6 weeks before her due date and was told she'd have to return to work by a certain date or be forced to resign. She and her husband are still dealing with the financial repercussions of that but they've got one cute baby to show for it. :)

7. Mimi223

Mimi223 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

I became pregnant my first year of teaching. The pregnancy was not planned, my husband and I just decided that if we became pregnant it was ok and if we didn't we didn't. Well I did get pregnant and was due July 24th. We would be on summer break. I informed my principal that I would return at the beginning of the school year. First I did not have enough sick days, Second even though I was assigned (tenure, he assigned me within six months of getting the position) I was concerned that he would give my room and grade to another teacher. I decided to come back. I had my daugther by c-section, on July 30th. I had to be back at work August 29th so I only stayed home for four weeks with the baby. I have to tell you that now I regret not taking more time off. My husband received family leave from his work and he pretty much stayed with her until she was 6 months. She is now five years old and I can be honest and tell you that she has a stronger bond with her father than she does with me.

Two years ago I had my second child, this time once again she was not planned. I was due November 3rd, by c-section. I learned from my first pregnancy never to put my work ahead of my family. So I have 50 sick days that I had accumulated through my years and I stayed home with the second baby. My last day at work was November 2 and I did not return until April. I have to say I enjoyed staying home with my girls. I have also realized that I have a stronger bond with my second girl because I was with her for a longer period of time than my first.Lesson to be learned ~ family first.

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 18, 2006

when you are ovulating!

i think you need to consider your financial burden if you are due to deliver during the year. If you are able to go on maternity (paid?) leave??? If you go full term, 9+months, its almost a school year. So, if you can plan for a June/May baby you need to try during summer. It has nothing to do with the alignment of the planets and seasons. It is really just the convenience of school calendar and getting paid or not having to take a 'leave' until school starts because you have your summer off....

9. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 18, 2006

I'd say try to plan it so your due date is within the first few weeks of summer.

10. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

if you have a medical condition that might make it difficult to conceive, then I'd say, go for it. Your principal (and staff) should be understanding...one would hope anyway. :) Just do your best and show him/her how much of an asset you are to the school, and you should be okay. I will say that the first year is very stressful, so you may want to actively begin trying later in the year, but do what's best for you. :)

I'm currently 3 months pregnant and have been dealing with similar issues as yours. My husband and I got married last July and I switched school districts. I am going to be in my second year this year (you need three years in my district to be tenured). We were planning on trying next year (so I'd be due after school let out), needless to say, my pregnancy was a surprise. :) A good one, but still a surprise. I'm not tenured, and I'm due about 15 days before my principal has to make the final decision on whether or not to renew my contract. All I can do is do my best, be as active as my body will allow, enjoy my time with my students...and hope she's as understanding as I believe she is.

I'm sure you'll be fine at your new school. Do what's best for you, in your (and your body's) time, and enjoy your first year...it's crazy, but so much fun and rewarding. :)

Good luck! :)

11. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

mommaruthie - believe me, I had been calculating when would be the best time to get pregnant, so I'd go out at the end of school or be due at the beginning of summer vacation... September is perfect - due in June. August - May, October - July. I had it all figured out...but suprise I got pregnant in early summer (end of may, beg. of june) and I'm due March 1. So I'd say, late summer, early fall would be best.

I'm a little sad I'm going to miss so much of my first grade students' year, and especially at the part where they begin to take off and fly. When I come back, they'll be so far advanced from where they were when I left and almost be second graders. :(

12. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

As soon as you're ready !!!

We've been trying to conceive for over 5 months now, so forget planning for when the baby will be born, because we don't have control on these things ! :(

13. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Aug 18, 2006

Tenured or not, I would aim to have a due date in late may/early June...this way you're off for the summer and wouldn't have to worry about getting laid off, sub plans, grades or anything like that. Now remember, no one can guarantee a due date!!!

Good luck!

14. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 18, 2006

Hurry up and move to Norway!
    Maternity leave =paid 80 % of salary for 10 months. Then, for the next 6 weeks, daddy gets 6 weeks with 80% of his salary. :D :D :D

Here, teachers have babies late August or beginning of September. Then they're off untill next school year and get paid for a full year.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 18, 2006

I agree with all those who are telling you to not let your job dictate your life! Pregnancy is so important and life-changing... and it's a miracle brought into our lives by the Lord. I am not one for planned pregnancy, yet I am hoping in my mind that I have a child born in June or July. It is honestly better, probably, yet if I were to get pregnant (and be set to deliver in September), I would still be ecstatic. Though I am a workaholic and probably devote TOO much time to my job, I would know that family comes first. Last year, a non-tenured teacher got pregnant and delivered in September (for us, the second month of school), and she is still at our school now in her second year.

16. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

I had my boys (planned- but of course that's not always how it works, and that's ok) in late March and early April. I did this b/c I had enough leave to get paid for the 6 weeks or so I missed, and then I also had the whole summer- this gave me the most possible time. But DON'T stress about it, just let God do what He needs to! :angel:

17. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 18, 2006

My pregnancies did not seem to cooperate with my plans! It took us months to get pregnant for 2 of my children. So, I ended up needing to reevaluate my maternity leave plans.

However, I also wanted to warn you that an early summer baby might not work out so well either. I had a friend who managed to get pregnant at the exact time she wanted so she would have the baby in early July. Well, the baby came right before finals/report card/etc. It was a very stressful time for her.

18. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 18, 2006

As others have stated, you need to do it when you feel ready. Do not let a job allow you to decide what is right. Ten years from now, you might not even be at the same grade level, school, etc. You have to go with what your heart and body tell you. I am just going back from maternity leave. I was fortunate by getting pregnant the first cycle. We started ttc in June and I had my baby in March. I tried to plan it so I was able to have all my sick days saved up and then Family Medical Leave after that. I was able to spend since March home with my son. It just worked out. Sometimes though, you never know what your body is going to do. I do some soul searching and figure out what you and your husband want. Good luck.

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

Whenever it happens, it happens :) I wouldn't worry too much about planning, as long as you know it could come.

If I had a say in when I got pregnant, I would like it between June-August to get pregnant :p That way I could have my maternity leave and the whole summer off to be with it :p But things never work the way we plan. :p

Sigh, I wish my husband would let us get pregnant now :( I'm 26 and would like to start trying, but just the words "pregnant," "baby," and "diapers" gets my husband all nervous like a "deer in the headlights" look. So sigh, we're waiting until 29 I guess.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  20. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

I agree with what everyone else has been saying - don't let work determine when you get pregnant. My first child was perfectly planned. The next two pregnancies didn't happen when I wanted. The fourth was a complete surprise! You'll be tired and more than likely have morning sickness in your first trimester. In your last trimester, you most likely will be achy and tired (does that ever end?) When I was in my last trimester with #3, my legs ached so bad. So, if you are trying to time things, keep these little details in mind. I don't mean to be a downer! At the end of it all is a beautiful baby!!

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2006

That sounds like my husband... I am 25, and he is 27. We have been married for so long that I think our families have given up on us having a baby (7 years). I wish that we had before I started teaching. If we did when I wanted to , we could have put them in the child care center across the street from my school. It is through the school dh is going to, so we would have gotten a discount :(

Hopefully in 3 more years or so. I have wanted a baby forever :eek: