When do you go back to school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Jul 5, 2018.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 6, 2018

August 27 for teachers, August 30 for students. I'll go in earlier though to make sure everything is ready.

2. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

August 13th for teachers and August 16th for students. I will be going in though to get my room ready in the next week or so. I am hoping they are finished with shampooing and waxing in my room. I heard that they are ahead of schedule on getting rooms cleaned this summer :) The last three years we have had maybe a week or two to get our rooms ready before school started. Thankfully a little before school let out for summer they hired a new guy and the other one (who was extremely lazy!) resigned.

3. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

Teachers in my district return August 7th and students return August 13th.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 6, 2018

I THINK we go back on August 6th and kids start sometime that week. I kept asking and principal and secretary kept saying " you will get an email". Umm ok, but I'd like to schedule my summer fun all the way through the end, I don't sit around at home every day. I had to press them for a vague answer saying that it's the 6th, for 2-3 days of meeting / setting up classroom, etc.
    Luckily I will be teaching independent study, so I do not have a care in the world. I don't have to plan what I'll be teaching, thinking about 3 different classes with all new curriculum (of course designed and carried out by me). Nope. I'll just show up, and everything is in the system.
    I can't tell you all how good that feels after a year I've had.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Jul 6, 2018

First contract day for teachers is August 2nd. An optional PD day is a day before. Kids return on the 7th. I'll be back a few times to get my room ready. And greet the new P also!

6. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

Our first day back (for PDs) is Aug 28, students back Sept 4

7. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jul 6, 2018

You all make me jealous. I go back 2 weeks from Monday. Meet the teacher night is two weeks from Tuesday. School starts that Wednesday.

And summer school just ended today.

I need to sleep, but my room is not ready. I set too many lofty goals and bought too much new decor. No rest for the weary.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Jul 7, 2018

So funny how different timings are. I start summer school next week, and don't go back to regular school for more than 2 months.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 7, 2018

I start on August 10th and kids start on the 23rd.

10. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 7, 2018

New teachers start Aug 1. Returning teachers start August 8. Students start August 14.

I usually start myself back up with a few hours for a few days about a week or two before I’m due to report back. I like to relieve myself of the stress and pressure that I feel to have my room quickly put together by going back early to work at my own relaxed pace. It’s nice to be working on lesson plans or other paperwork in a put together room while my colleagues are scrambling to organize and put together their rooms. As much as I like my summer break, I also like to preserve my mental health. I know that I get high anxiety when I wait to set up my room at the least minute, so I willingly give up some of my own time to preserve my mental health.

11. RaiderFan87

RaiderFan87 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018

I get anxiety if my room isn't set up before teachers' official return date. I normally start working in my room a couple of weeks before we're scheduled to start back. I do a little at a time and enjoy working without other teachers coming to my room to chitchat (although I do enjoy the fellowship).

bella84 likes this.