When do you dive into your regular curriculum?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ~Nicole, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

This is how the textbooks are in my district. In our science textbook for 4th grade, it covers four units. Only two are aligned with the state standards and that's stretching it a bit. I've known several teachers who have taught to the science textbook, which means that they're teaching two units they don't need to and neglecting two units that they actually need to teach.

2. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Ohhh, I see what you mean. Yeah, our textbooks are alligned with our state standards. That is why we have the Open Court Reading police coming by to check that we are using the textbook exactly as it is written. We can and do use other resources but we are required to use the textbooks as a minimum.
    So I guess I am still kind of confused. So is it the state standards that Nicole needs help finding?

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Wow! That's crazy! Our science texts are directly aligned to our state standards and I still have to use/buy supplementary resources because the text is so hard for the kids to understand. I can imagine how much money is spent to teach units that you don't even have textbooks for. Does the school help you out at all?

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Our textbook is above student's reading levels, too. It is not exactly student friendly, so I spent a considerable amount of time figuring out other ways to teach the content. We are adopting a new program called FOSS this upcoming year, so I hope that it does end up being more teacher and student friendly.

5. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Thanks Nicole! I am sitting at my desk right now trying to figure this out as well....you were reading my mind too. I am also a new first year teacher and this puzzles me because we never started student teaching until the middle of the school year..so i am quite puzzled as well. What grade are you teaching?

6. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

BuLadybug do you start with the review from the beginning of your reading book? I am wondering if I should incorporate that as well into my third day of teaching or should I go straight to the first theme. We start school on a Tuesday so we will only have four days for the beginning week? or should I just plan on using those reviews to stick into each day of the beginning of theme 1 to review letters, sounds, and such? I am also teaching 1st grade this year. I student taught kindergarten and some of the kids struggled to get their numbers and alphabet sounds, so I am wondering if my kids will have lost that by the time school starts again? :)

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

I think we've digressed from what Nicole actually asked. She wanted to know when we start teaching the curriculum. Oops that was her orginal question.

Then she asked about state standards.

Nicole, here's a link to Missouri's glck's (grade level content expectations). That should get you started.

http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/curriculum/GLE/index.html

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

I agree.

When I did freelance writing for a big textbook company, we were given Texas and California standards.

In most schools in other states, the teacher's edition is a guideline, NOT the actual syllabus.