When did you start applying for jobs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Goosebumps, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Goosebumps

Goosebumps New Member

Nov 30, 2017

For the teachers that graduated in the Spring semester, when did you start applying for jobs? Do you have to wait until your certification goes through? What were your experiences?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Depends on what the job posting says.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Comrade

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:37 AM

I started applying for jobs in March with my graduation occurring in May. I made it clear on my resume that my certification was "expected", and that didn't seem to be an issue.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:10 AM

Same. And I attended a job fair in April where districts from all over the nation attended. By that point I KNEW I would have my license because I had taken all of my tests, I just needed to apply for it, but you just put "pending'' on your license and explain the progress if needed (e.g. it's available or I only have a test left.) I would say that in the current climate, districts pretty much understand the game and KNOW that many teachers will be fresh from the gate and possibly uncertified. Just be clear in what steps you have left. I would say March/ April is the perfect time to start looking around because I suspect given the "teacher shortage'' many districts will try to get their postings up earlier to secure candidates quicker. It just depends on where you are and what you're certified in. I go to school in NY and never thought I'd see the day when they hire uncertified teachers and yet... there's a bunch walking around.

:)

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:17 AM

What part of NY has uncertified teachers “walking around”?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM

I found an article that while inflammatory posted nothing to substantiate their claims but at least included the following nuggets about NY classrooms:

"Less than one half of one percent were flagged as out of certification and not highly qualified — 99.6% of teachers were in accordance with the law,"

And “hiring an unqualified teacher is a misdemeanor crime for a school board”.

What I took from the article is SPED certs were lacking, head starts were out of compliance, and lazy paperwork collection probably explains most of the 0.04%.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:07 AM

My part. And of course I'm not going to flash around the area or districts. Trust me I know what I'm talking about better than you do. Just this past spring, 3/4 of the elementary teachers that my district hired are NOT certified, which annoyed both my friend and I, who subbed for the district (she long term subbed for the year), and got passed over. They opted to hire some UNCERTIFIED student teachers...
    :mad::mad::mad:

Let's just say a lot of the very small and rural districts in the state play fast and loose with the rules and regulations. I've had extensive convos w/ my professors about this. A district wants to hire me to teach Spanish and I'm not certified... but there's nobody else. Luckily for them I'm working on it and told them I currently don't have it. They said it's "fine.'' Even my grad program isn't "on the level.'' You're supposed to be certified to even be in it and yet many of my classmates who just graduated in May, aren't. They keep getting "threatened'' with being kicked out if they don't get it... but I know that they won't because it would leave us with like 5 people in the program.
    A friend, who is currently student teaching, had to attend seminars hosted by the college (where local alumni working as teachers or admin come and speak.) And one Super was talking about how they just hired an uncertified science teacher. One girl raised her hand and asked "How is that possible?" And he said, "Illegally.'' When she told me that I wasn't shocked at all.
    You have all these ed students, but many CAN'T pass the cert tests... EVEN WITH the safety net scores. So the schools are just getting as close to the red line as they can get. I wonder if the state audited if there'd be all kinds of red flags raised.
    :smirk:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 6:25 AM
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Comrade

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM

Your last paragraph says it all. They would rather hire people who are uncertified and cannot demonstrate their subject matter knowledge in a formal setting than hire competent, certified teachers. That’s America for you. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM
  11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:21 PM

I mean in some disciplines, like math or science, I get it, because if there is nobody else, you have to hire someone! But in elementary, which is a FLOODED market, it's kind of insulting to be passed over for someone who is uncertified. I'm just saying. I'm sure they had their reasons it just feels crappy is all.
    :(

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM

If you aren’t willing to say where, I just assume you are lying. Otherwise, phone your local newspaper and let them out them.

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Umm... because I'm trying to get a job in the area so it probably wouldn't go over too well. Those of us who live in small towns know what shenanigans go on. It's all about who you know here or if you're related to somebody. It doesn't always necessary equate to hiring the best -- or most qualified people-- I guarantee there are other people on this board who can attest to that fact in their own areas.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Once you do it, there will be a bunch of job openings from all of these non-certified teachers be pushed out since it’s against the law in NY. The could get waivers for Math and Science but you won’t be teaching those anyway.