When are you going to retire??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Master Pre-K, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2018

Weird. Is it because the pensions in Illinois are so much better for teachers? I can see if you dont pay into SS you would not get any but I thought we all had to pay into SS up until a few years ago.
    I retire in 8 weeks :sunglasses: after 40 years of teaching if Fla. I will receive a pension from FRS. almost 70% of my best 4 years averaged and decent SS. I will make more from those than my salary pays now.

2. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 2, 2018

So.. If you work in an IL public school, even for one day, you don't get any SS? Even if you quit teaching? What if you move to another state? Do substitute teachers get pension or some kind of retirement?
    Sorry if I sound dumb. I never worked in a public school until recently/now

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 2, 2018

I see so many of my colleagues working well into their 60s. Makes me nervous because I’m 36 and started this gig when I was 23. I enjoy what I do, but can’t see myself in this field (site administratation) when I’m a senior citizen. I started a 403(b) in December and I’m thinking of opening an IRA, too. Stinks that we can’t survive on our pension alone.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 2, 2018

Wait a minute, a good friend of mine worked as a principal for 36 years here in California and she makes $120,000/year from CalPRS. That’s how much her pension pays. I would think other administrators would make comparable pay??? What do you make now and what does your pension look like? I’m just confused because I thought it was pretty good for you guys...

5. YoungTeacherGuy

Apr 2, 2018

CA teachers and administrators who work in public schools are all part of CalSTRS.

Yes, I make approximately approx 120k as a VP and will make more as I climb the ladder, but I’m still proceeding with caution.

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2018

WOW..............We have principals that make 70k or less. I make more than the AP at my schools.....(half your salary).............

7. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 2, 2018

If the rules don't change (which they can), I could retire at 50 - with a significantly reduced pension - or at 55 with a full pension or I could go longer. I think it will really depend on how I feel at 50. I don't need a lot of money to be happy - I live pretty simply and most of my expenses are because I'm tired at the end of a long day - take out, pre-made food, clothes for school, etc. I spend a lot of my salary on convenience. I like doing this stuff for myself when I have time. So with more time I think I could live pretty cheaply. So I'm really just going to wait and see - I'll make the decision that makes me happiest.

MrsC likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Apr 2, 2018

I'd be happy to sniff half of that.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2018

Ditto!!! :)

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2018

CW....

The best thing I can say is take a visit to the SS office. They will give you a print out of your earnings (because they stopped mailing them)and tell you exactly what I’m trying to explain. Then call TRS and ask their policy too. If you have 30 years or more of non-educational work, they may reduce or eliminate your SS from this day forward when you sign that TRS form.

If you sub, IL treats you the same as a teacher. You will get the same TRS form from any district you sub. If you work as an aide, that is IMRF and different, not affecting SS.

You can take a TRS refund if six months go by and you STOP teaching in public school. Then, you will be eligible again for all your SS.

Only then will you be able to get your SS check.

If you move to another state, you better ask up front what their SS and/or pension policy is. About 10-15 states have this dumb rule. Nobody volunteers this info. It’s assumed once you sign your life away with the pension form.

And....you may not want to get a refund for TRS and keep your credit for teaching in IL if it will take you to the retirement age/years that you need.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

Apr 3, 2018

Just a heads up: I'm in no way trying to boast about what I make. I normally never discuss money with anyone. I only mentioned it because he (futuremathsprof) asked...plus, this forum is anonymous (aside from the couple of members I'm friends with on FB).

12. blazer

blazer Groupie

Apr 3, 2018

Wow! In the UK the pension I got pays 1/80 of my final salary for every full year teaching. I did 26 years and so receive 1/3 of my final salary as a pension. For the UK this is actually a good deal compared to many private company pensions. I could take this pension at 60 (or after 55 with a reduction). In addition I have a smaller pension from employment prior to teaching. All in all my total pension is about £17k pa (my final teaching salary was £44k). I am currently 61. When I reach 66 I qualify for the State (Government) pension which is about another £5k pa. However I pay income tax (20%) on all earnings (including pensions) over £11k. I currently subsidise my pension with subbing work which pulls in another 8 or 9K pa (on which I pay about 32% in taxes). Luckily I also paid into a private pension for most of my teaching career which is invested to give me income and I also converted about £100k of my pension into a tax free lump sum which is also invested. Mrs Blazer also has a small employer's pension which she started collecting in January when she hit 60. She also has a smaller self invested sum giving her income as well. Her total earnings is below the £11k threshold and so she pays no tax. She will also qualify for the State pension when she is 66 and she will get slightly more than me (£6K pa) as she was not a teacher. (Teachers don't qualify for the full state pension) OK, in the UK we get free healthcare (paid for out of taxes) and we own our home (mortgage paid off). We are reasonably comfortable and can afford a decent standard of living and are planning some spectacular vacations.

creativemonster and stephenpe like this.
  13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 3, 2018

It's not a terrible deal if they actually follow through with what they're promising. Here's the summary:

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 10.18.19 AM.png

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2018

So what % of your averaged salary do you get for retirement?
    I hear that the system is almost bankrupt or maybe that is just Chicago.

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2018

Sounds good. Come to fla and I will buy you a Guinness or your favorite libation.............and we can tell war stories

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    blazer likes this.
  16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 3, 2018

75% max.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2018

So I am assuming most of you in Illinois make 100k at least when you retire so you get 75k in retirement. That is very good. Our system pays you about 50% of your salary up to 30 years then it goes up incrementally.
    I will get about 69% of my best four years plus SS. I will make a little more in retirement than I make now. The top of our pay scale in our poor rural fla county is 59k. The last 14 years has hammered us in salaries. Insurance sky rocketed and no raises for 10 years. They need to march like those Arkansas teachers did.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 3, 2018

I'll have 30 years in when I'm 55. That maxes out our retirement. I'm hoping to have saved enough to pay for insurance at that point, or to be able to work part-time to pay for my insurance and retire that year. If not, I'll have to work until I'm 65, or whatever age Medicare starts then...

19. blazer

blazer Groupie

Apr 3, 2018

My favourite American tipple is Goose Island IPA.

20. blazer

blazer Groupie

Apr 3, 2018

Not sure how much they make in Chicago but I was offered $90k to go and teach there in 2005. Somethimes I wish I had taken it up.

stephenpe likes this.