When are you going to retire??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Master Pre-K, Apr 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

Hello Again...

A midnight ramble for you...

When are you going to retire, and how do you plan to do so?

Do you have a set age, amount saved, special accomplishment you want to achieve?

I've seen some people leave earlier than expected, and others who look like they can't take another day.... I say, I don't want to be sitting on the floor singing, "The Wheels on The Bus" when I'm 68 years old.
    I might add, IL is one of those strange states that does not allow you to collect Social Security and teacher's pension. I would have to work 10 years, and be tenured in order to collect a teacher's pension. So I am hesitant to go back to public school, because if I work one more day, I won't see a penny of my Social Security. Makes no sense to me. That's why I'm working for a non-profit, Head Start/Preschool program.

So what are your plans. I need some ideas!

TexFW1 likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2018

I plan to retire at age 65. I’m 25 so I have a LONG way to go... I might retire sooner if I have the necessary funds. I plan to retire using funds from savings, my Roth IRA, Social Security, and stocks.

I have already paid off all of my student loan debt, I self-financed my Masters degree so I have zero debt there, which helps, and I am working on paying off all of my consumer debt. I already paid off all, but one credit card, and am chipping away at my car loan. Concerning the latter, I bought a $27,000 Honda Civic with all the upgrades last year in May and I currently owe only $9,800 on it. I don’t ever pay minimum payments on anything. That is a sure-fire way to burn money on interest.
    As soon as my car is paid off I will start adding more into savings. Speaking of which, I have $25,000 in my housing fund and $5,000 in a separate savings account for incidentals like car repair, surprise medical bills, etc. The balance in my checking account never dips below $1,000 because I don’t feel comfortable having anything less than that in it.

Also, I recently started using the Robinhood app and have already invested about $2,600 in stocks. My plan is to buy blue chip stocks every month. This month alone, I bought one stock of Google, 1 Alibaba, 2 Facebook, 10 Dropbox, 1 Berkshire Hathaway B, 3 VISA, 2 Goldman Sachs, 2 Intel, 1 Netflix, and several pharmaceutical penny stocks.

Because I work at a private school, I pay into Social Security every month, twice a month, and so I will be able to collect SS when I retire. Yay!

Make sure that you invest. I am going to do so every single month from here on out and will have a massive fortune by my 60s! :D

Make sure that you do side hustles and generate disposable income. I have a ton every month (from tutoring) and I save/invest the vast majority of it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2018

I'm eligible to retire after 4 more school years; I'll turn 62 that year. I'm not sure if I'll go then. A recent separation, and forthcoming divorce will hit my pension hard and I may choose to work another few years.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 1, 2018

I'm 42 and started my teaching career at 38. I'm in my 5th year of teaching. Retirement is a LONG way from now. My current thinking is to make it to 10 years so I become vested into the pension. After that, another 15 years would make me 63 and eligible to retire after 25 years of service. Also, many young people are being dissuaded from entering the field especially in my state. For example, if you enter the teaching force now at 23, you can't retire and collect full pension until reaching 62.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 1, 2018

I plan on retiring at 60ish. I can get SS and my retirement check but of course will have to wait for a few years before SS kicks in. I have some stocks and another small retirement check that will arrive at 62.5.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2018

June 8! I’m 64 and have been teaching 16 years. We are moving to an active adult community, where we look forward to making new friends, trying new activities, and traveling unconstrained by the school year calendar. :smile:

MrsC, 2ndTimeAround and ready2learn like this.
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

Very interesting....how some states allow both SS and pension.

At 62, I can claim my ex’s half of SS, which will equal the total amount of mine if I wait until the full retirement age. That is, as long as I don’t remarry. :oops: That stinks because I know my guy has not earned half as much. Because he is younger, if we got married, I would have to wait even longer to claim his. At this point, that wouldn’t work because I earn more and he could actual claim half of mine, which would be more than his amount at the full retirement age. Sigh!

I plan to work part time until 65. I’m building up my IRA, and investments too. Moving some things around. Getting some good feedback and suggestions here :)

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 1, 2018

Hm. I'm in IL as well and just recently left Head Start for public school

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

ChildWhisperer,

IL public school teachers do not pay in or recieve any benefits from SS. Any benefits you have earned while working in private or non-teaching jobs (your entire life) will be reduced by State Teachers Retirement System pension. You can’t get both. If you worked as an aide, you build benefits in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, or any other school system out of state, these credits can be bought or transferred to STRS if you are short years to retire.

If you don’t make tenure and stay in a district 10+ years, you can’t get that money back anyway. As a public school teacher, you will now pay union dues; and will never get that back.

If I subbed one day in the public schools, I would no longer be eligible for my SS benefits. I would have to find a job as a teacher, work 10 years, be over 50 then eligible for that teachers pension. But nothing from SS since working at age 17 would count.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 1, 2018

So... I pretty much kissed my SS goodbye?!

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2018

I retired in 2016 at 59 1/2 years old. Took my pensions. Signed up to a subbing agency who find me a bit of work to pay for vacations. Currently on a 1 semester stint doing maternity cover for the girl they gave my job to! LOL

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2018

The only advice I can give you if you are approaching retirement is get advice. In the UK each of our unions is linked to an financial company that then will give members free advice . I thought I would be in the job until I was 65 until I spoke with them. Suddenly, after crunching the numbers with them I realised I didn't have to stay in the job. If your unions do not provide this service then get some independent advice. However I would approach your union first, you never know.

creativemonster likes this.
  14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 1, 2018

I pay into both SS and pension in NC. States that don't allow both - do you pay into both? I thought teachers in states that don't only pay into the state retirement system.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 1, 2018

I plan to retire between 55-60. I may not be able to pull my full pension depending on when I retire, so it will really depend on how our other retirement accounts look and what we're doing. This may all change if I decide to take any time off with kids or not. My dad is retiring this year at 62!

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 1, 2018

We don't pay into SS where I am, just the state system.

17. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Apr 1, 2018

The plan is to retire at 59 1/2 so that I can draw from my Roth IRA and my pension. I planned on previously retiring at 58, but at 59 1/2 I can get both. I'm taking SS early because 67 is not guaranteed (probably be 70 by then).

18. futuremathsprof

Apr 1, 2018

This is poo-poo. And this is why public school teachers don’t have to pay into Social Security in California since it is not fair for them to pay into their pensions AND SS and not be able to draw from the SS fund, too.

19. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Apr 1, 2018

I'm reading a lot of screwjobs on this thread.

20. futuremathsprof

Apr 1, 2018

Screwjobs? What are those? Sorry, slang is one of my weakest subjects.

21. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 1, 2018

I'm the type of person who feels like I'll never want to retire. Granted I'm only 29 now, and that may change at some point, but right now I don't think I'll want to go.