When a kid refuses to move

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jen12, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 30, 2012

What is the best tactic when a disruptive child refuses to walk away from the situation? I had a pre-k student who was repeatedly talking during circle time. I warned him that he would go into the time out chair if he continued, and he continued, so I told him to go sit in the chair. He refused. I told him he could go to the chair or we would call mom (something we've done repeatedly) and he still refused. I went over and took his hand to lead him to the chair and he went limp. No way was I going to physically carry him...anyway...he eventually went NEAR the chair and sat on the ground next to it. My aide talked to him and he started crying, spitting and trying to make himself throw up.

For the rest of the day, he was well behaved and just fine.

I have no interest in going through this ordeal again. Any advice?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2012

If you have an aide, I would suggest removing the other children from the situation and leaving him with the aide. You can take the other children on a walk around the school or just out in the hallway for a few minutes.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2012

It seems like you've already done this but I usually give choices. He has 3 choices: he can stay in the circle with everyone else and stay quiet, go to the timeout chair, or go outside/have mom called.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 30, 2012

I like this idea!

Right now, the child still has control of the situation because he can refuse your instructions. Calling mom doesn't bother him, so chances are he does the same thing at home.

By taking the other children away, you take control away from him and regain it for yourself. The purpose of the consequence is for him to spend some Time Out by himself. If he won't leave the group, then the group will just leave him. That lets him see that you can work around his antics and still achieve the same result. Plus, if you take the group for a walk around the school, that increases the consequence; not only did he still have Time Out from the group, he also missed a fun activity at the same time. Maybe next time, he will be more willing to sit in the chair on his own so he doesn't miss out on any fun outside activity.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2012

I agree with Mopar and Cerek, but please remember to praise the students that are ignoring the student and focusing on you. I pass out ignoring stickers in my class.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 31, 2012

Also, make sure that you are covering content as best as possible in these walks. So, lets pretend that you are working on shapes....he blows up....go on a shape scavenger hunt! "Who can find a triangle?" If you are on letters at the time of the blow up, go on a environmental reading hunt.

Increasing the amount of alternative consequences will possibly help as well, spending your whole day walking will grow difficult to explain to the higher ups. Keep in mind, if he is looking for control you now have a completely empty classroom and one on one staff for him to control. Make sure she has something to engage in (dusting) that can be done with little set up and without contact with him.

These types of challenges are very difficult and take time to work out......I wish you low blood pressure points in the weeks to come.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 31, 2012

Those are excellent suggestions for activities during the walk, WaProvider! :thumb:

As for the stubborn child, his refusal to cooperate will be a lot less meaningful once his audience is removed. I imagine part of his defiance is the attention he receives from the others as well as the control he exerts over the situation. Removing the group from him eliminates both of these driving factors.

The aide probably won't have much difficulty finding something to do. Since the child is supposed to be in "Time Out" anyway, she doesn't need to worry about keeping him "engaged" - at least for the duration of the Time Out. If the walk takes longer (let's say the walk takes 10 minutes but the "Time Out" was only 5 minutes), then she can get him started on a different activity. In fact, she could start him on the next activity planned for the group, which would give him a headstart on the rest of the group and offer him the chance to show the teacher "I'm doing my work" when she comes back in.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2012

Once you remove the audience, things should quiet down because there is no reason to continue. However, be prepared for him to run out of the classroom.

I love the idea of rewarding the other students for ignoring.

10. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 1, 2012

Going for walks, putting him in a chair, and having other children ignore him may work, but only temporary. You are not addressing the issue of WHY he is disrupting at circle time. Maybe you should evaluate what you are doing at circle time. Is it too long? Are there opportunities for physical movement? Maybe your assistant could sit with him. How about giving him a special job at circle time or something tactile to hold? You should try everything possible to help him become successful.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 1, 2012

He is a new student. According to Mom, his previous school was too "unstructured" so she changed programs to ours. I had him in the front of the room, but he couldn't keep his hands off of things, so I moved him to the back. Unfortunately, this area isn't working for him either. Part of his behavior is no doubt due to the new routine, but his mother has said she sees this same behavior at home also. She picks him up and carries him to his room. I'm trying to find a better alternative.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 1, 2012

I agree with EDUKATEME.....if the actions are pervasive it isn't going to go away quickly with a few walks around the school to separate him from the group.

I agree that looking at your own actions as much as the childs is necessary, and perhaps you could consider increasing the choices or the interaction during circle if you thought it might help.

I think taking the other children out of the classroom is a great idea, to use as a tool during the time that you investigate what the precursors are to his behaviors. If he was already on his way to TO when you were confronted with failure to move, the issues seem to have started earlier in circle. How early? When exactly? What was going on then? What was going on right before? When do you notice that the change in attitude/behavior started? What was happening in the room, with the weather, with teachers' moods and with traffic patterns inside your room right before the mood/attitude change occurred? Is that something that needs to happen? Are there more DAP ways that what-ever-the-issue-was could be worked on? If it isn't possible to change the precursor....could you change the script for what happens between the precursor and the time out?

These charts and notes will take time, sometimes lots of time.....use that audience removal trick for the interim. It is one of my FAVORITES! But don't think it is the answer. Keep looking for the answer.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

Trust me and the others who have made the suggestion...remove the other kids out of that room when he starts up. One child in particular did the same thing...she was in total control, but only for a minute. I was not going to struggle with her physically nor was I going to debate. So, one time I took the kids for a walk and the second time, my aide did and I stayed with her. Both times, when the kids returned, we asked them what they did on their walk and was it fun? Not only did this keep the others from a standoff between their classmate & teacher, but they had a good time because they displayed good habits. The one who stayed behind listened to what she missed out on. And it never happened again.
    While she and I were alone, I took the opportunity to have a good little talk with her and ask her why she was doing what she was (talk really nice and don't scold) doing because she was missing out on some good fun. She really did realize what she was doing because she never did it again with me. And of course, I praise her and all others for being good listeners and having good habits. :)

14. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Apr 7, 2012

Another thing you may want to try is to ask if he can go to time out by himself, or if he would like help( and help is you or your assistant taking his hand and walking him over to the time out area). This has worked for me. Sometimes they will go alone, sometimes they want help. When they have the choice, they make an appropriate response. Even my most stubborn kids will request help once in a while, other will always go by themselves when they are given that choice.

15. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012

Interesting post. I teach older grades, but I really like the idea of giving an incentive to other students for ignoring disruptive behavior.

16. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Apr 7, 2012

I usually take the child on a walk and peek in all of the other classes. While we look, I'll say, "Look at those kids following directions, they're having so much fun!". By the time we make it back to the room, they've calmed down enough to talk to me. I just can't justify taking the kids out every time one of my three main rule breakers decide to throw a fit.

17. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Apr 7, 2012

*all the kids, I should say.

18. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 7, 2012

I've seen emptying the room work with great success during meltdowns in special ed classes. Even if they aren't performing for an audience, it gives the teacher and the child to have a nice talk without the hectic atmosphere, provide some comfort if needed, etc. It isn't a time to scold, but a time to figure out the problem and try to solve it.

19. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 7, 2012

There are definitely some solid strategies for dealing with refusal to move (or refusal to comply with anything), but I think it's important to have an overall discipline plan with a clause for "insubordination." Typically, I've found that it makes the most sense for this clause to be associated with involving an administrator. That being said, once insubordination begins, there are a few things that can and should be tried. Too often, teachers jump to the step of calling someone else (e.g., admin) before trying a few other strategies, several of which were mentioned above. Another easy strategy is to acknowledge the behavior, say you're going to give the child a minute to think about what they want to do (and perhaps remind them of an upcoming consequence), then move on and positively engage the rest of the class in the lesson. Sometimes that's enough to call off the power struggle and the kid will slowly get back in line. In if backs sense, it might be appropriate to praise the child for making the right choice, which both empowers the child as well as yourself.

My only caution against things like removing the whole class is that it can really inappropriately feed the behavior if done wrong. In certain situations with more extreme behavior (e.g., 2 kids fighting) it makes a lot more sense to remove the class. However, in order to truly remove the audience from the child, you'd probably have to take the kids out of the classroom, which 1) will take a while with preschoolers, 2) give huge amounts of attention to the child while they line up and walk out (everybody will be looking at the child sitting by himself), 3) provide no guarantee that the child will stay by himself instead of walking with the class outside, 4) communicates that there really isn't an ultimate consequence present, and 5) is incredibly inefficient/disruptive. Again, I've used the strategy before, and used it successfully, but especially in settings where insubordination isn't extremely infrequent, it just may not be the best choice.

Finally, there are a lot of variables that would go into factoring which strategy to chose, many of which are highly specific to your teaching style, the child's overall behavioral profile, the specific situation, the behavioral potential of the rest of the class, etc.

Anyway, thought I'd throw in a slightly different perspective.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2012

I like to use picture cards. When "circle time" begins, I point to the picture of the children sitting in front of the teacher, hands in lap and looking at the teacher. To make a point to the "disruptive child," I might give a colorful stamp on each good listeners hand and tell them how well they're doing.
    This can be used in many instances when trying to make a point. It's amazing what children will do for a stamper.