When a couple divides up housework....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sarge, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2014

Does cleaning the garage count?

What about washing/detailing the cars?

Note: She cares far less about how her car looks than I do.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 23, 2014

We don't really count either of those as typical housework. Those are things we'd do together every once in a while.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 23, 2014

Cars--no. We each handle our own. We do not have a garage, but I do count lawn work as his chore.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 23, 2014

We each take care of our own cars; however, it annoys him far more so he takes mine to the car wash sometimes.

He handles the garage and a good portion of the yard work. Actually, he enjoys cleaning (weirdo :lol:), so he does more than I do.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2014

Cleaning the garage counts as a chore. Washing cars does not.

IMO :)

7. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 23, 2014

We just take our cars to the car wash. The insides we clean out ourselves (speaking of I should probably get on that...) We clean the garage out together.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2014

I think the garage is a once in a while thing, so no, that would be done together probably every few months. Cars, we each clean our own, but I think it could be something that one person takes care of, just depends on the couple.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 23, 2014

We started out with him doing yard work, me doing finances, and each of us taking care of our own vehicles. We each did routine housework.

Then he stopped doing any house or yard work. I did it all. Then ge started complaining about how I was doing it.

Now I still do it all, but I'm not sure what he does because I filed for divorce.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2014

We don't have a garage or yard work. We each run our own cars to the car wash. We all do our own laundry and I do most of the house work. He helps when he can, but he works a ton of hours and only has one day off. I work far fewer hours and I'm more particular about how the house looks.

He admits that he is much better at messing up the house! :hugs:

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 24, 2014

Hubs cleans the cars & does most of the yard work. He also does most of the laundry & a lot of the cleaning. He works 4 day weeks, so he'll do a lot of it during the week.

Usually, the first one home shovels the snow.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

Dividing up housework???? What's that??????????? :lol:

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

My husband basically takes care of the garage, cars (maintenance mostly but I will clean my own), snow removal, lawn care, anything having to do with the basement or attic, cleaning of wood pellet stove, and repairs inside the house. I do laundry, dishes, general cleaning. If he picks up his socks and puts them in the hamper I consider myself lucky :rolleyes:

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2014

She doesn't touch the garage. As far as she is concerned, as long as the cars fit, it's clean. Actually, as long as her car fits, it's clean. For about a year and a half, I had my side filled up with bike stuff and she didn't care.

The only time she ever goes into the garage is when she uses her car or when she needs to retrieve something she needs inside the house. Once, I was going through boxes, and I needed her input on what to throw away. I ended up snapping pictures of stuff and going inside and showing her the pictures.

She will drive her car through the car wash when she gets gas. But the amount of clutter inside of her car can get pretty ridiculous. I'm certain that right now, if we had to carry a passenger in the backseat of her car, I'd have 10 to 20 minutes of cleaning so they would have someplace to sit.

It's just that yesterday the cars and the garage needed serious attention and she insisted that I do a bunch of cleaning inside before I got to play in the garage.

15. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Dec 24, 2014

Maybe tackle both house and garage together? I say it ALL counts and I try to be aware of what husband does - and he tries to be aware of what I do - And we brag/tell when we need the other to notice a particular job. To me laundry doesn't count - we have a machine, so it's super easy and I don't mind loading it and folding it.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2014

I'd rather do laundry than have anything to do with the garage.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 24, 2014

Not to sound old-fashioned, but I'd think the men would want to take care of the cars & the garage (including his wife's car since he should want to treat his wife like a queen so she doesn't get her hands dirty!).

(My dad always took care of mom's & my cars.)

I haven't experienced this yet myself. My BF & I don't live together. Unfortunately, he never offered to wash my car, but put new windshield wipers on when I had to buy some!

18. melnm

melnm Companion

Dec 24, 2014

I stayed home with our kids for eight years. When I did, I did most of the housework. Now that we both work full time, we divide it up pretty evenly. We don't either one clean our vehicles very often, but we don't leave clutter in them. Something like the garage is usually a Saturday whole family project. But, sometimes he'll decide to rearrange stuff on his own.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 24, 2014

Sarge, I say it kinda depends on why you're cleaning. Are you guys getting ready for a party or a bunch of houseguests? The car and the garage aren't a huge priority then, and she's probably freaking out about the parts of the house that guests will see.

If it's just normal cleaning, then I got nothing.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2014

I actually wouldn't ask her to do that. I think she has an aversion to garages just like she has an aversion to country music, swimming, camping, cheap jewelry and non-European cars. I just want cleaning the garage to be considered more than just goofing off.

We both do laundry based on whoever is available to do it. For example, if one of us is home and he other is at work, the one at home does laundry.

This year for Thanksgiving, we only had 35 people. But I still got the garage ready to handle overflow diners and kids. The year before we had 48 people so the garage also served as a makeshift movie theater as well as where the majority of people ate. The garage had to be spotless with chairs, tables, carpet, as well as a projector and screen so the kids could watch movies. I took care of all that.

Note: If you ever have a bunch of kids at your house and you want them to be quite as mice, set up a movie and borrow the listening center from your classroom and plug it in so each kid has their own headphones. Put on a movie and you won't hear word from the little rascals all night.

21. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 25, 2014

We don't have too much stuff in the garage normally. Right now we do as we don't have a shed so all of our patio furniture and grill are in front of where my car goes (his side has a built in work bench). I don't mind helping clean the garage. We usually do it once at the beg. of the spring and once at the end of fall. Get rid of things we don't need as our garage seems to turn into a .... lets just stick it in there since we don't know what to do with it now... type of storage place.

We both try to work on the inside of the house. We both work on the laundry but I do put it away. He won't let me carry the baskets anymore so he carries them up and down. I will put the clothes away. He does all the dishes but I clean the kitchen. We both pick up the basement (family room) and the upstairs living room. He has started to help with the bathrooms.

My car probably will take a good 15-20 min to clean out. He just has to get the salt bags for the water softener out of the back of my car. Way to heavy for me to lift. :dizzy: