What's Your Chapter Book Read Aloud?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by StickyNotes, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 12, 2007

During the second half of the year, I decided to read books that had a great story, but perhaps were too challenging for them to read themselves. My idea was that I could also expose them to interesting vocabulary and give them reason to think about things that were unfamiliar, and imagine the characters. I read The Secret Garden.... which was a bit challenging for me to read because of the English dialect... but the kids absolutely loved it. (and it is one of my favorite books) I also read the Tale of Despereaux, and the BFG. All of those are books that older kids might enjoy, but they were a wonderful success.

2. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

Thanks, I'll look into it!

3. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I would check out the Newburry Medal Award winner list. So many of them would be great for read alouds. Also, The Last of the Very Great Wangdoodles is amazing for 2nd graders! I def recommend it.

4. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 15, 2007

For some reason my kids love the Elmer books so I might read those, I read the Magic Tree House Books, sometimes I just pick a kid to get 4 books off the shelf, I read the back of them and the kids vote.

5. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I use Junie B Jones for a lot of Read Alouds. I always get a great reaction. I stop frequently to ask questions not only about the story, but also about the grammatical errors she makes. :)

6. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I startedt his year off with Ramona the Pest. The kids can relate because they all have younger siblings.

7. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

I've been reading Matilda so far this year. My students are loving it!

8. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I'm reading the first Cam Jansen book. I am using it to introduce books in a series. The next book I want to read it Matilda. I'm trying to alternate them between new books and my classics :eek:):cool:

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

Charlotte's Web
    Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles
    Roald Dahl

10. taraes1982

taraes1982 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, the kids love Junie B. but it's hard for some of the kids, especially ELL, to make sense of it. Plus, some kids don't quite understand that the author wrote like that to make it sounds like a 7 year old....they think that's the way you're supposed to write.

11. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

I think I'm going to go with My Father's Dragon

12. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 3, 2007

I read the same ones you do! Cool. I hate JBJ books for the same reason. I remember starting one and then I got so disgusted I quit reading it after chapter 2. Kids love em though. I also would add
    Mr. Popper's Penguins (winter) and Charlie and Choc Factory and also I've done Mouse and Motorcycle and Pippi Longstocking. The series are good because you get a kid hooked on that author! :woot:

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

When I taught second grade last year, they LOVED The Secret's of Ms. Snickles class. It's about a teacher who lives in her classroom, and when she pushes a button after school it changes into her apartment. It also has a plot line about secrets of the students, one of the students was a swan and one's mother is the tooth fairy!

14. stephdaisy

stephdaisy Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I usually begin the year with a favorite of mine -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The students love this book. Then I have read The Tale of Desperaux, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, Charolottes Web, Sarah, Plain and Tall, Bridge to Terabithia, Wizard of Oz, Winn dixie. I have read many more, however at this time in the morning I really can't remember them all.

15. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Sep 5, 2007

I'm reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle to my kids right now, and they love it! :)

16. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 6, 2007

I read my Choose Your Own Adventrue book yesterday and today (same one, let kids pick what happens, so ended differently each time) and they absolutely loved it! One actually thanked me for introducing them to them, and another said, "Yeah, we love these now." I am so excited!

17. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Hey, Me too! In that order! Next will be Stewart Little, Mr. Popper's Penguins and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I like Pippi Longstocking too and The Mouse and the Motorcycle. :rolleyes:

18. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 13, 2007

The Little House Series (9 Books) is in the Scholastic Book Club paper for September. It shows that the books are around 200 to 400 pages each. Did you find them to be too long? I loved the series on T.V. and wondered if it would take a super long time to read through one of them?