What's happening in your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 1, 2013.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

I have a million things going on right now. To list a few: we just finished phonemic awareness assessments that I need to look over; running records; writing samples that I now need to score; math benchmark next week; caring week next week; Lunar New Year activities next week (including participating in our Lunar New Year parade).

All of our math centers will be Lunar new Year themed for next week (I am very excited about that).

We are getting close to finishing our Happy, Healthy Me unit (I think two weeks left). In reality, with all these extra things going on I honestly don't think we will do any actual social studies or science activity next week. It will be integrated into the writing (as I normally do) because we need to do activities for caring week and for the Lunar New year.

Does anyone else feel swamped?

What's going on in your classrooms?

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 1, 2013

I feel extremely swamped, but not just by school things. At school, the main thing "swamping" me is progress monitoring for reading and for math. I have to do it (during core instruction time) every other week, and it seriously cuts into instruction time! At home, my hubby just had rotator cuff surgery, so that's another story in and of itself.

Right now in school, we are:

studying magnets for science
    in the middle of a huge black history unit for black history month
    exploring (anti) drug materials for mandated hours of instruction (for which we have been given 0 materials
    our normal weekly phonics & reading lessons
    trying to write biographies (tied into black history month)
    working on place value in math (and some are just not getting it, lol)
    I need to figure something out for Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras (a big deal here)
    and still move my kiddos forward on their nonsense word fluency, oral reading fluency, and missing number identification fluency (all tied to my student learning targets)
    about to "test" a smart table for the rest of the school year (it's for a K classroom next year, but the P wants me to try it out first)
    bending over backwards to intervene/accommodate my three non-readers who are making 0 progress :(

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now :unsure:

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

Fun!

We are finishing up our math unit on shapes and are going to start mental math strategies

Valentine's themed activities start soon

In ELA we are going to write valentines to our favourite books

Social Studies we are doing a mini unit on families

I will start assessing for report cards soon

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 1, 2013

OOOhhh, I LOVE the writing valentines to favorite books!!! I'm gonna "borrow" your idea, MissScrimmage!

6. agdamity

agdamity Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2013

Next week we will start researching disasters. They will eventually be researching how people overcame a disaster situation. We are studying historical fiction so they will begin reading a history nonfiction book that will be followed up by a historical fiction book. They will also be doing several character analysis activities from our class novel. For word study, we are continuing our study of prefixes.
    In math, we are multiplying fractions. Lots of fun there :). We have a big chunk test in science we will prepare for (covers light and planets).

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2013

The Valentines to our favourite books goes with "I Love to Read month" - borrow away!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

Next week, we're reading a story in our Anthology called Jalapeno Bagels.

In the past, I've always brought in jalapeno bagels for the kids to sample, but they've never been a big hit. Personally, I don't like jalapeno bagels, either.

This year, I'm going to bring in regular bagels: blueberry, plain, & cinnamon raisin and let them spread different flavors of cream cheese on the bagels.

I'd say 50% of my kiddos had never heard of bagels before I introduced the story vocabulary today.

Most of my kids speak Spanish, and one kid asked, "Are bagels anything like pan dulce (Mexican sweet bread)?" :love::love:

9. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Feb 2, 2013

I just finished having my 6th graders make monsters by putting together Latin roots. The results were either cute or terrifying. They really like doing things like that.

My 8th graders are freaking out over the end of the year test they have to take in order to receive HS credit for Latin I. I have spent a lot of time talking about it in the last week trying to calm their worries.

The project I have coming up that I am excited about is having the students write valentine's to a god/goddess/hero we have been reading about (so they have to show their knowledge of the myths as well as practice Latin composition). I love this project! I made it last year when I was student teaching and it was my favorite thing we did all year. The trick is going to be modifying it down to where I can use it even with my 6th graders who have a limited experience with the language.

10. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Feb 2, 2013

In Grade 7 Math, we're learning to add and subtract integers.

In Grade 8 Math, we're talking about congruent triangles - we're using lots of Geo-Strips to figure out minimal conditions necessary.

In Grade 9 Math, we just finished our mid-term and next week will be starting linear equations.

I also teach Health and we're in the middle of our bullying unit. I teach Health to 3 different classes, all of whom are at different points in the unit. In one class, we're discussing empathy. In another, we're talking about the differences between conflict and bullying and in the third, we're doing skits that show the different ways that one can deal with a bullying situation.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

Yeah bagels are nit a Mexican food. Pan dulce is such a staple here. For breakfast many eat pan dulce con leche o cafe. My husband puts the entire pan in a glass of milk.

12. First School

First School Rookie

Feb 8, 2013

I always try to keep my class student engage in different activity apart from imparting education. There are various co curricular activities are being scheduled so that student gets involved in other creativity. They have been taken to trip then annual function and many more.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Feb 8, 2013

We're doing motion and energy this unit, and I'm completely swamped and confused about what I have to do. I have some ideas, but I think some might turn out to be disastrous.

This unit focuses a lot on graphing so I really have to break down the graphing skill, and we're going to be doing a lot of labs in which we go outside and move around and record the motion. Then there will be a computer portion of it using a game to create a roller coaster and see the exchange of kinetic and potential forces.

I laminated giant graph paper yesterday. Today we're doing a catapult competition. This entire week was barely planned, because I was so confused about what to do about this unit. I now have a better plan.

Doesn't help that my kids are feeling crazy lately.

14. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Feb 8, 2013

Peregrin, have you heard of this website? It's called PhET, and it is basically free interactive simulations for basically any science or math topic under the sun. I use it to give my kids more practice "experiencing" density, but the physics components look pretty awesome as well.

Here is the actual website:
    http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/new

Here is the direct link to one simulation about conservation of different types of energy by having students build a virtual skate park:
    http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/energy-skate-park

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Feb 8, 2013

Yes! I have this bookmarked already, but thanks for posting it. We will definitely be using some of these. The rollercoaster simulation is absolutely great too. If anyone wants to use it, it is here: http://content3.jason.org/resource_content/content/digitallab/4859/misc_content/public/coaster.html

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 8, 2013

I'm sitting at my desk watching my student teacher teach my classes. I feel pretty useless. :lol:

This weekend I'll have one class of papers to grade. Up to this point, she's been using our pre-determined targets and lessons. Next week she's on her own, so I have a mostly free weekend. :thumb: