What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2014

Lauren can't wait to get back to school so that she can get her Chipotle fix! She's going through withdrawal.

TG, that sounds amazing. How did it turn out?

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 10, 2014

They need to put a Chipotle in my area. The closest one is over a bridge and in a not so great neighborhood. Not really worth it to go over there just for that. I was trying to get my husband to go to the Walmart in that part of town and then (in a surprised voice say) OHH There's a Chipotle, lets go! LOL Not sure it will work.

I am uninspired regarding dinner for tonight. The only interested thing we ate last week was some asian tacos using lettuce instaed of tortillas.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2014

I ate up the last of the leftovers from all the cooking I did when we were on our snow days and my fiance was in town (chili and cornbread, pot roast, homemade pizza, hamburger pie). I'm so much less inspired when I go back to cooking for just myself...

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2014

It worked very well, Mrs. C.

I heated maybe a tablespoon of olive oil for a couple minutes in the bottom of a Corelle casserole, uncovered, then added a small-to-medium onion, sliced, and cooked it for two minutes (to limpness) while roughly chopping three large mushrooms. Added the mushrooms for another two minutes. Sliced up two links of Italian sausage into coins, spread the pieces over the veg, and cooked 'em till the sausage bits held together when stirred. Then added a can of diced tomatoes, 3/4 cup of red wine, 1/2 cup of French green lentils (these are the very small green-and-black speckly ones, yum), and a teaspoon or so each of dried thyme, oregano, sage, lavender, and basil. Stirred the mass and judged it was too dry, so added about 3/4 cup of water. Microwaved for 15 minutes, covered. Tasted a couple lentils, which were still distinctly chalky, so stirred and microwaved for another 10 minutes. The lentils absorbed pretty much all the liquid.

The rest of the household sampled the result and was suitably jealous, so I'll do this again, in a larger pot and doubling the whole thing.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2014

That sounds delicious. No one else in my house likes lentils, but with Lauren going back to school, I'm on my own for dinner a couple of nights a week. This is going on my menu for next week.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2014

You might also offer a taste: there's enough else going on in this dish that people who think they don't like lentils might be inclined to rethink.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2014

Lauren would be the most inclined to give it a try. My husband, at 57, has decided what he likes and what he doesn't and tasting something isn't usually required before he decides he doesn't like it.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2014

Ama...what's hamburger pie?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2014

My mother's ghost just rose up indignantly; I may be distracted for a while.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2014

Last night I made duck for the first time! It actually came out pretty good and I'm not a huge fan of duck but my husband is. I just cooked 2 breasts not a whole one. I found a recipe for a orange and port sauce so it had a slight sweetness to it. I have been checking out new cookbooks at the library and trying to cook new things. I was getting tired of the same old stuff.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2014

My favorite treatment for duck breast is simply broiling it - medium rare, thank you very much, and with the skin left on to baste the meat and get crispy - then slicing thinly to serve. Yummmmm.

Dried tart cherries plumped in either port or brandy work nicely as the foundation of a sauce that's not too sweet.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2014

I scored the skin then seared it before putting into the oven. I had a hard time finding what tempterature to cook it to (my digital thermometer did not have a duck setting) but mostly what I read was 135-165. I think it got up to 150 and was a tad pink which my husband liked.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 13, 2014

My kingdom for some non-soft food!!!!

I've been on a soft diet since Thursday, and I can't have anything hard, fried, or spicy until after Friday. I'm really tired of mushy stuff.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2014

Tonight we're having shredded BBQ beef sandwiches with leftover potroast, plus broccoli. Nothing too fancy, but it will surely be delicious!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2014

This is what I'm making myself tonight!