What you need to buy for your secondary classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aliceacc, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Ideas anyone? (Of course, it will vary by course, school, and so on.)

- a vertical file for your desk. I color code each of my classes- 1st period red, 2nd orange, and so on. Each class gets a file folder of that color. That's where I put their tests to return, worksheets for someone who has been absent, and so on.

- matching files for your briefcase. As I grade each set of tests/quizzes, they go into the foler of the appropriate color. I transfer them into the vertical file as soon as I can so I'm not lugging them around.

- colored chalk. It's amazing for highlighting a topic. And if you ever teach HS Geometry, it's indispensible for overlapping triangles.

-birthday cards. One per month for your homeroom. It really matters to them!!

-stickers for grades of 90 or better. You want to see something funny?? Try giving a 17 year old football player an 89 and watch him fight for a smiley face sticker.

-posters. I like cutesy/inspirational. They get plenty of math in my class; I tend to avoid mathy posters. (Plus I'm not worried that the info I'm testing them on is on the wall somewhere.)

- border. It really brightens up the room. It's cheap and easy to change.

- An "extra help" sign in book/binder. Have them sign in and out. When mommy wants to know why Johnny is failing after all that extra help he supposedly attended, you can set him straight.

- a small sewing kit. Our kids are in uniforms, and I've kept a number of kids out of detention over the years by showing them how to sew on a button, or put a pocket back on. (I start, they do most of the work, I finish) Want to talk about life skills?

-envelopes. Kids somehow think they can hand in stuff (like money) to teachers and the teacher will remember who handed in what. Keep a supply of envelopes-- others will thank you!

What else??

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

Personal hygiene/health items: aspirin, feminine care, brush/hair spray, tooth brush/toothpaste, etc. It comes in handy for sudden, unexpected parent meetings or for those days when you stay at school so late you don't have time to get ready for an evening get together! LOL!

4. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

yep, I have toiletries in my room. Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodarant, cologne. Exedrin for those days I get headaches (not from the kids though, I just get annoying little ones, not migranes though, that just need their butt's kicked) I shave my head so a brush is pretty useless for me.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

A pack of those Listerine tongue strips is great too, for before parent conferences!

6. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

After an interesting teaching practicum in undergrad, I've learned to keep a flashlight for when school loses power. Sounds silly, but it'll save you if you lose power (especially if you room has no windows!).

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Wow!!We've lost power only once in the 14 years I've been in the building.. in April, when a squirrel ate through a cable. By the start of homeroom it had been restored; just in time for trimester exams!

8. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

we have emergency lights that come on in the event of power loss. Since we are a hurricane shelter, we have all sorts of stuff like that. We even have white and gray wall plugs. Both have power at all times, but if power goes out, the gray ones are then powered by the same generators that power the emergency light. There's usually only 1 gray per room though

9. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Haha, the situation was rather crazy. The school had lost power, but classes had not been cancelled. It was an elementary school and I was completing a practicum. When I arrived in the morning to find the school DARK, I was so utterly confused. The kids arrived and we had them go to the gym/cafeteria. I was placed in charge of putting batteries in flashlights. It was quite the experience and we didn't have power for most of the day!

You never know what you'll stumble into, huh. But, as aliceacc said, it's not very common. Lucky flashlights don't take enough room, so if you never use it, no big deal. It's not like you're storing a generator just in case things go bad . . .

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

I forgot highlighters.

I use them to check homework. I put a swipe through the assignment as I've checked it. That way they can still correct their errors, but I won't see the same assignment from their friends later in the day.

11. stlchica

stlchica Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Work w/o a name

Use a big plastic clip (like the one used for closing up potato chip bags) and label it "No Name." If you get a paper without a student's name on it, you can place it in the clip and stick the clip to the board. It saves you from using classtime to figure out to whom the paper belongs.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2007

Last year I had 180 kids... this year I'll have one period where 6 different classes rotate in (It's SAT prep). That's a LOT of birthday cards :)

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 10, 2007

--art supplies like crayons, colored pencils, scissors, rulers for student use

--an extra 3-hole punch for student use

--an extra stapler for student use

--Purell hand sanitizer, lotion,

--board games, cards

--items for your own organization: file folders, binders, bins (may want to wait to see what you'll need), desk items

--dry erase markers or chalk for your use along with basic office supplies (I tend to use a lot of paperclips.)

There are plenty more things you COULD buy but not immediately required.

14. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Our school provides us with flashlights. Thankfully, though, my room has a window.

15. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Are the vertical file folders like letter trays? If so, I wanted to do this also color coded by class for them to turn in work, but I can only find black and clear. Did you find colored letter trays or did you spray paint them? Thanks!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

Mine is like a mini file cabinet. It's an open crate, maybe 5-6 inches thick, with a rim around the edge. The files rest on the rim and are vertical, next to each other instead of being horizonally laid on top of each other.

so I have one plastic file full of 5 different colored folders.

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2007

I got a VCR, knowing my computer would play DVD's, why? Becuase I knew I would NEVER remember to reserve the school one when I really needed it. It was a great idea and you can get them at Walmart for $30 now.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Next year I'm going to stock up on supplies to sanitize my room. I got two NASTY colds--one sinus infection with laryngitis and one with pharyngitis. I'm certain that my kids made me sick in spite of all my good handwashing efforts!

I'm going to have a couple of big cans of Lysol spray to spray down their desks, the pencil sharpener, the door knob, and any other surface they're likely to touch on a daily basis. I'm also going to get some Clorox wipes to wipe down the surface of my desk, computer mouse, and phone.

I have TONS of Kleenex and hand sanitizer left over from last year when I gave extra credit to students for bringing it it. I'll be sure to have plenty of each accessible to students on a daily basis.