what would you say?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2ndTimeAround, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 4, 2014

Students and parents are so used to extra credit and passion earning them extra points, that they have lost the true meaning of a grade. Those students will have problems when they enter college.

2. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 4, 2014

Have you asked the student to model for you? Show him where he went wrong? Repeat.

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 4, 2014

exactly. well stated. I use the analogy with my students of baseball batting average. it is simply the number of hits vs. the number of attempts. nobody argues about a batting average. I tell them that if Hitler was in my class and could do the work at an A level, he would get an A. Similarly, if Jesus or Mother Theresa were in the same class and couldn't or wouldn't do the work, they would fail. math is not subjective...which I guess is why I always liked it as a student myself.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 4, 2014

Great suggestions. Thank you all for your feedback.

5. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

Apr 7, 2014

I also teach middle school and often have this exact same problem. Furthermore, I teach an elective and parents feel that an A is earned by just showing up. I have had parents hysterical over Bs when their child is earning Ds and Fs in their other classes. My principal even lets parents pull their kids from my class when they earn an B.

I would emphasize that the student is a great kid and he is doing so well to earn a B, which means "Above average" in an advanced class. Then, I would say they need to meet with you for a conference where you go over his tests. They will probably not want to bother to come in -- most likely, they only want to email. Then, you are off the hook. If they do come in, go over the tests without judgment -- you don't have to tell them their kid isn't a genius, but they will get the point if you have enough evidence.

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Apr 8, 2014

Try these strategies:

Work backwards
    Identify errors in process
    Fill in missing step/s