What would you do?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by miss karen, Feb 18, 2004.

1. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Feb 18, 2004

Need a moment to vent here....

On Saturday as my son was leaving for karate class he suddenly became upset and told me about how a lunch supervisor had been rude to him the day before. I don't know what brought it about at that moment but he told me that during lunch time he went up to her, wished her a Happy Valentine's Day and she told him to "Zip it and eat." He was literally in tears and left for his karate class.

I was angry at first, then thought about it. I thought to myself "I raise my kids to be kind, respectful, thoughtful and polite and this is how an adult responds to a kind gesture." I was outraged. Now, I am wondering, should I say something to the principal or not? I worked at that school for 5 years, know the lunch supervisor and the principal very well. My friend (a mother) thinks I should. My co-worker thinks I should let it go. What would you do? I told my son that I agree with his feelings but that she shouldn't keep him from being kind and polite towards others. And how often do we hear adults complaining that today's youth are rude and ungrateful??

Thanks!!
    Karen

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2004

I would *try* to let it go. I've probably been guilty of being a bit grouchy myself... and sometimes cutting a kid off before I even knew what they were saying. I could especially see this happening on a Friday/Party Day in the cafeteria. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless she is like this all of the time. If you know her, you should know if this is typical behavior.

4. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Feb 19, 2004

Your right.... she is like that all of the time. I guess that I am just disappointed at the fact that my son was so upset and that was disappointing to me. This lady is always grouchy, I wonder why she even works with young kids!

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 19, 2004

My lunch supervisor was a grouchy lady. One day she made one of my students cry because he had spilled his milk by accident so she yelled at him in front of everyone. Well one of the mothers was volunteering called his mom and told him. His parents came to speak to the principal about it. They told the lunch lady that she is working with yopung kids and she needs to becareful what she says. Since then I have seen a change in her so maybe you should say something. I would because you dont want her snapping at your child again and you said she is always grouchy which isnt pleasant at all. You want your son to feel comfortable at lunch and no scared.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004

I think i would let it go. Not that is right, but all adults have their moments...mabye she was having a bad day...(again this does not make her behavior correct) If it happens again, then I would speak up!

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Feb 19, 2004

I agree with the other posts. I just wanted to add that I would make sure to talk to your son and tell him that what he did was a very kind gesture that was received very badly. Don't let it stop him from being kind to others. Maybe you can explain that not everybody is as kind as he is and sometimes people can react very poorly but that is their fault and not his. YOu wouldn't want this kind of thing to dampen his spirits.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2004

Margo I agree, just make sure that your son undersands that this is a Mom to Son conversation....you don't want him to go back to school and bad mouth this teacher...

9. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Feb 20, 2004

I have a teacher like this, I know she works at a high school but she acts like she owns you, I understand how you son feels because I have the same problem. I might bring it up with the principle or even the teacher, but I wouldn't worry too much, just tell you son that she's naturally a grouch and not to take it too seriously.

10. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Feb 20, 2004

He would never do that anyway, he is not that type of child (yet!!!!!) I have decided to let it be and I have spoken to him about how it was wrong for her to respond that way. He tells me that she often says that to other children and often yells. Must make for a nice "dining" environment! I find it sad though that these days we try to instill good manners in our children (or some of us do!) and then you go out and there are the ones who let the door close in your face at the mall, don't thank you for holding the door for them, butt in front of you, are rude in public, etc. Yet we often hear complaints about how rude the youth of today is..... I hate to say it but society is rude in general. I know that we can't change the world but I just wish people would open their eyes and start to realize that much of the intolerance in today's society is generated by society itself. Sorry for going on about this but it truly makes me angry to think of the little importance that is put on values.

Thanks for all of your input and points of view.

Karen

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Feb 20, 2004

Just an extra thought...if she's grumpy all the time, maybe she doesn't know. If it were me, I would politely mention to her (not the principal) that your son's feelings were hurt when he wished her a happy valentine's day. It might be awkward, but if you take the time to tell her yourself, in as nonthreatning a way possible, she will process the information on her own time.