what works to stick things on cement walls?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SheTeaches, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SheTeaches

SheTeaches Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Hi! I'm setting up my classroom for the first time and have run into a problem... the walls are cement and I can't manage to get anything to stick to them. Any advice for what works best to get posters and such to stick on cement, painted walls? Thanks!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

Stikki Wax is great! As is hot glue (but some schools won't let you hot glue). If you have a lot of things you will post for only a while and then change out (like anchor charts), you could either use Stikki Clips or hot glue clothespins to the walls so the charts are easily interchangeable.

4. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I use hot glue--make sure that your school will allow that--it works great!

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

What about poster putty? I also just bought "glue dots" from office max. It says it sticks to cinder block and comes off clean. I'm trying it tomorrow. I have also used the sticky clips. They're good, but expensive. :)

6. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

velcro tape works well

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

Mavalus tape. Looks like masking tape but holds better! I give it a 2 thumbs up. I buy about 4 rolls a year. I use it all the time. It can also be reused if your items you are hanging are laminated. I have a spot behind the door where I store my looped used pieces that are still good. Now, if you stick it on some papers like construction paper, it will not be reusable but that's ok if you have more MAVALUS tape! :)

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I used Stikki WAX this year, and it's holding up great. A little goes a long way, and you can use it over again too. Hot Glue works well too :p

Sticki Tack doesn't hold up well when it gets rainy or hot, so I avoid it. I also use velcro, but I've found that at the end of the year, it's harder to take off. I use a putty scraper to take the velcro dots off the walls, and I've accidently scraped the paint off sometimes. If it's light colored paint, it won't be that noticeable.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Ha I went into my room 2 times last week...the first time I hung up a ton of stuff with masking tape. Then when I went in 2 days later EVERYTHING was on the floor...so frustrating.

10. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

That's what I use too :) Sticks to everything from the walls to whiteboard without leaving residue (and I always reuse!)

11. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Maskin tape (I know I spelled that wrong) then put a drop of glue on the tape before hanging the poster. Works like a charm.

12. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

The trick is to put a bit of glue on top of the tape that's going to adhere to the wall and viola...no falling posters.

13. LisaM

LisaM Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Where do you get this Mavalus tape??

14. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Scotch foam tape. Green plaid covering. White foam tape. I never have to retape. You can buy it at Walmart or office supply stores. Not cheap, but you don't need to use much. I have tried it all, and this is the best - in my opinion. :)

15. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

last year I used the wax clips and the little foam square poster corners. they both worked well, but the wax can be reused and the poster squares don't stick after the first time (so you have to get it right).

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2007

Hot glue all the way:D

17. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Hot glue and velcro :)

18. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I also use Mauvelous tape-got it online once and at the teacher store the second time. It even sticks to those OLD straight window blinds!!!! It stayed up all year and all summer!

The only thing it won't stick to are things that have been cold laminated. To get by that, I just use clear packing tape on the back of the lamination to give it grip and the mauvelous tape works!

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

Duct tape also works well, can be used even in small pieces so it does not show through what you are hanging. I would test a spot first to be sure when you remove the tape it does not take paint with it! We have had things hang all year using just this, humidity, cold not seeming to affect it.

20. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 20, 2007

I'm in a tropical country...high humidity, cement walls... Scotch double sided foam tape is the stuff. Thank God there happened to be a roll of it, I haven't found anywhere to buy it!

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 20, 2007

Try blue painter's tape. It is pretty sticky but will peel off easily if you don't keep it up for several months. Cheap too.