What will you do differently next year?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

I saw this in the Elementary forum and decided to make a thread over here for us Secondary folks.

What are you planning to do differently next year?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

I'm sure I'll be adding to my list, but here's what I'm thinking about right now:

Organize my class periods a little better. I want to have a more standardized daily schedule. Right now we just sort of do what needs to be done and I think it's a little frazzled.

Figure out a good system for handling absent work. Right now the "absent binder" seems like the best way, but I still have to iron out some kinks.

Write a curriculum map and do my best to stick to it. Now that I'm more familiar with my materials and standards, I think this should be easier.

Teach the Roman holidays. Ideally, I'd like to have parties for each one of the big ones, maybe focusing on a particular food or god or something for each one.

Prep my kids for the National Latin Exam. There are a few things that are covered on the NLE that I don't usually teach before my students take the test, mainly because I just don't get to it in time.

Figure out how to handle missing work. I don't want to give zeros for missing work because I don't feel like it appropriately reflects student understanding. At the same time, I don't think it's fair to just excuse all missing work, either. Can I keep kids after school for a homework detention sort of thing? That's my big plan but I don't know if it's kosher at my school.

Communicate with parents more about the good stuff.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

Great idea, Cassie!

Assuming I get a job next year, I want to incorporate Literature Circles in my class. Still need to work out the kinks on that one.

I'd also like to do a cross-lesson with SS or science on proper note-taking skills. So many kids today have no idea how to read the textbook, let alone take notes. Possibly cross-teach with SS or science to model the SQ3R method.

I want to build in time for vocabulary review using manipulatives rather than a drill-and-kill approach.

Actually do data analysis so I see where I need to improve teaching on certain standards.

KEEP UP THE CLASS WEBSITE (I'm not great at it)

Finally - a class newsletter to go home once a month.

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Mar 23, 2009

Wow, it would be a long list for me, but here goes some of them.

I too want a more structured day... and even more structured units. Each day and each unit would follow a similar pattern. Something like -- 1. Bell Work, 2. Notes/Discussion, 3. Review Assignment/Homework

I need a more effective late work policy. I've found myself accepting late work more than I should, and it has become a major hassle. I need to decide on a policy and stick to it.

I need a better handle on classroom management. While most of my classes are good, one drives me nuts, and I need to set a better tone next year. I think I've let too many things slide in the past, and need to be more consistent next year.

... there's more, but that's the most important....

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

These are all good ideas!

I've been thinking a lot about what I teach to my seniors, and I'm toying with the idea of treating my class like two separate subjects. I would teach literature on Monday and Wednesday, for example, and composition on Tuesday and Thursday - just like college classes. I could alternate Fridays, or use them for specific assignments.

I definitely want to focus more on writing with my seniors. I need to carefully plot out the year with schedule a series of assignments that I can realistically give and grade.

I need to ramp up classroom management. The students are getting more and more unfocused, the text messaging during class is rampant, etc. I'm going to pull in more Power Teaching, and I'm going to absolutely outlaw cell phones - if I see it, I take it.

Those are for starters...

7. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 24, 2009

For me, I need to push to get through with my first two standards quicker so I have more than 4 weeks to do my last standard, and review with the kids before the state test.

I have one standard that I need to come up with a lab to help the kids understand a concept better.

I am going to be more strict on students leaning back in my chairs (I know, petty, but I'm tired of them breaking my chairs).

Other than those, and minor gliches that I see come up, I think things are pretty set for next year. Of course, after 12 years, things are quite a bit easier than when I first started.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 24, 2009

Things I want to change:

-Revamp my notes and power points to be more interactive and have more multimedia. Rockguy kev's are my guide.
    -Complete more DQBs and Essay questions with both my Honors and AP US History classes.
    -Find the best way for students to comprehend their readings. I am right now testing out different systems: reading response miniprojects (of the students choosing), guided reading notes and terms, notes on the reading, etc. I may allow students to choose to do one of the following for each reading or group of readings.
    -Develop miniprojects/activities to do with at home readings.
    -Create projects and activites that incorporate differentiated forms of the multiple intelligences.
    -Find more simulations, history labs, activites, etc. to complete in class. My students really learn from these and I need to do more of them
    -Incorporate student laptops and smartboards better into lessons and individual assignments.
    -Incorprate a larger research paper to complete with my AP Students.
    -Incoporate more smaller writing assignments, as well as in-class essays and DBQs to complete with the students.

9. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 25, 2009

Kevin has awesome ideas for the activities. I use the smartboard all the time, the student enjoy being able to use it as well. There are also websites that have activities specifically for Smartboards.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 25, 2009

History Activities?

11. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

I want to start out heavier with homework and stress that it is important that they review their material at home. I have too many kids who are not doing any work outside of the classroom and I am finding this mentality hard to break midyear.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2009

I'm going to take more days off.

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

That sounds like a great list. We've talked about simulations before and I was wondering, do you have any simulations on Standard Oil, the Gilded Age, or anything late 1800s America?

14. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

So many things come to mind - this is a great thread!

- Mock Trial Competition
    - History Fair Competition
    - Class Website - keep it updated
    - Revamp my supplemental readings to make them more HS student-friendly and easier to comprehend
    - Model UN competition
    - Podcasts online of all lectures
    - New makeup work policy - this is the biggest thorn in my side
    - Utilize SmartBoards, Mimeos, etc. and continue to research technology in the classroom

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 25, 2009

I do not right now. I want to add one, but haven't in the pass becuase of time constraints. I really would love to develop a simulation that allows students to really understand the corporations including Standard Oil and why monoplies were bad.

16. studytips

studytips New Member

Mar 26, 2009

More fun in the classroom

I decided to open the floodgates of fun for next year. I am going to go out of my way to have a fun/unique activity each week. I have found several new websites that will allow me to play more games in class.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

There are several changes that I want to make next year:
    --I am getting rid of binders and going back to bound composition books for lab journals. I thought binders would be easier because they could put lab handouts in them but then they lose everything.
    --I am going to use more formative assessments and let them guide what I still need to teach on a subject.
    --I am going to use graphic organizers for notes for my freshman classes. I have actually started that for the 2nd semester and it has had an improvement on their understanding of the material.
    --I want to add more labs to my freshman classes. I feel like I cheated this group out of the fun of doing labs but I have not taught this class in at least 10 years so I was teaching and getting materials together.

18. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

I hope Harry Wong didn't see this...with his views of "learning" and "fun" and all.:)

19. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 27, 2009

Yes Brendan..on his website he has activities for history. He teaches Social Studies/History..however you want to word it. I've used them before. They are divided into different amount of timeto complete them. 10 minutes, one hour, a day, a class period etc. My students have fun with them when we do them..I've not done them in a while. but I'm going to revamp next year and try to use them a bit more.

20. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 27, 2009

I always put in some sort of activity that goes along with the material at the time. We have about 2-3 days of notes, depending on the length of the chapter, then I try to do 1-2 activities-if they are small I do more than 1 or just have 1 that lasts a couple days-usually involves group work and presenting in front of the class. Then we review for a day and have a test.I don't like to do lecture/notes then test; lecture/notes then test. Some students learn better with other methods. I also try to through in a video or two as well.

21. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 27, 2009

I don't like Harry Wong...must just be me.