What to List on Resume as Experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MetalTeacher, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 30, 2017

As I'm about to finish an education degree, I don't have much in the way of job experience that directly relates to education. I've been told I should start applying in the spring while I'm still in my student teaching placements, which means I need to get my resume together very soon.

Since I won't be finished with student teaching by the time I'm applying for positions, should I include my practicum placements on my resume? I spent just under 100 hours total in my middle school placement and almost 150 hours at my high school placement, and I taught and planned multiple lessons and performed various other duties while I was there, so that leads me to want to include them, but I wanted to make sure that wouldn't give off a bad impression or be some kind of breach of etiquette before I did so.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Nov 30, 2017

Why not? I think you can include your student teaching experience as well, even if it is still in progress.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  4. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 30, 2017

I thought it seemed like a good idea to include it, but was worried it would be viewed as presumptuous. I did intend to include my student teaching, but I don't actually start that until January.

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Dec 2, 2017

Put your practicums on. It is in no way unusual and in my case has helped me get interviews. I had three teaching internships, like full-on teaching and not assisting/observing, in wildly different situations. Those internships help me appeal to those types of schools, as well as can help if whoever is interviewing you knows the schools. With your future student teaching, put it on your resume as pending with your anticipated dates.

MetalTeacher likes this.
  6. mivana

mivana New Member

Dec 2, 2017

I am in the same boat as you, except I am doing my student teaching this semester. I will also be applying for jobs in the spring.

The advice I have received is that you should most definitely put any field experiences or practicums on your resume. List student teaching as it's own separate sub-heading under "experience." As far as your other practicums go, you can combine them all into one sub-heading and call it "practicums," or as I am doing, you can list them all separately with short descriptions of what you did in the classrooms to aid in your development.

Not sure if this is helpful or good advice for the area you are in or applying to, but this is what most supervisors at my university are recommending and several peers have already landed some job interviews this way.

Secondary Teach and MetalTeacher like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2017

List them as in progress.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 2, 2017

MetalTeacher, there will come a time in your career when there's no room on your resume for your practicum placements, but that time isn't now. List them - and make sure you can tell an interviewer what you learned and how you grew in each.

AlwaysAttend and MetalTeacher like this.