What to expect at 2nd interview

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kawikasgirl, May 20, 2006.

1. kawikasgirl

kawikasgirl Rookie

May 20, 2006

Hi everyone - I have a 2nd interview coming up on Monday and was wondering what to expect. I am a new teacher and have been long-term subing while looking for a permenant teaching job. I had an interview with this school district several weeks ago - it was a panel type interview with 5 principals (talk about being stressed!). Well, they called me back and asked me to come in for a 2nd interview for a 5th grade position. I am SOOOOO excited, but not sure what they're going to ask me since during the first interview, each of the principals asked me 3 questions each. I'd really appreciate some input...thanks and send a good word up for me - I really need the job!

3. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

May 20, 2006

Congrats on getting that 2nd interview! I would love to give advice, but I've hardly had a 1st interview. I noticed that you are from California. If you don't mind me asking, what school district did you get the 2nd interview from? Just wondering- I'm having a terrible time finding a job and I'm looking in both northern and southern Cali.
    Good luck with the interview!

4. kawikasgirl

kawikasgirl Rookie

May 20, 2006

Thanks Deena - I know what you mean, it's really awful trying to get a teaching job in California. I've gotten more rejection letters than interviews. My interview is with Yucaipa-Calimesa which is very close to where I live. Good luck with your search.

5. kramercindy

kramercindy Rookie

May 21, 2006

The one time I had a "second interview", I went in and met the other teachers I would be working with, followed them around for the day, and just kind of learned more about them. Unfortunately, I didn't get the position (the principal never called me back and told me). Anyway, that's what I would expect. I would imagine it's a good thing that you're getting a 2nd interview. Good Luck!

6. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 21, 2006

It is possible that this time there will be teachers asking you questions rather than principals....let us know.Good Luck

7. linderdm

linderdm Rookie

May 21, 2006

second interview

Hello,
    My second interview was with a group of teachers. This interview will probably be more specific as far as the questions pertaining to fifth grade. The big topics in my interviews have been differentiated instruction and teaching a diverse population.

Good luck,
    Dawn

8. kawikasgirl

kawikasgirl Rookie

May 21, 2006

Thanks to all for your help and good wishes....I'll let you know how it goes. :)

9. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

May 21, 2006

Congrats! I just went to a second interview wed (3rd on thurs and offered me a job yesterday!)...
    Usually the second interview is with a team of teachers from the school that is interested in you. Expect to answer more grade-specific questions or content-specific questions.
    Some questions that have been asked at second interviews I have had:
    What curriculum have you had experience with?
    How do you feel about working with others/Do you work better alone or with a team?
    How do you teach writing? What reading strategies are important and how would you teach them? What's your experience with special ed.? How would you use differentiation/examples of differentiation. Why do you want to work at our school/district? Would you be willing to sponser an extra-curricular activity or coach?

Just a few I remember clearly! Remember to dress professionally and to try to impress the teachers! I also try to make the interview more of a 'conversation' than a question-answer routine.

Good Luck!!

10. kawikasgirl

kawikasgirl Rookie

May 22, 2006

I went to my interview today and I feel hopeful. It was with the principal of the school and she asked me about my education, how I would handle certain classroom situations, etc. She seemed impressed when I told her I had researched information about the school on their website, she said no one else she had interviewed previously had done that! She's looking over my portfolio and maybe I'll hear something good soon!

11. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

May 23, 2006

Hoping you hear from her soon kawikasgirl!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 23, 2006

I am glad it went well. I am hope you get the position.
    Any certain questions you would like to share with the rest of us that are being interviewed soon?

13. kawikasgirl

kawikasgirl Rookie

May 23, 2006

Ooops! Sorry, I should have thought of that before. Anyway here's what she asked - they were almost the same questions from my earlier interview, just not as many of them. She asked me about my educational background and how much teaching experience I have. What methods I would incorporate to differentiate lessons so that they meet the needs of all students (she emphasized ELL students in the question, we have TONS of ELL students in California).
    How would I incorporate the state standards into lessons, and how do I determine which standards are the most important for students to learn, since there is no way to cover them all.
    What % between 0-100 is a teacher responsible for a students success in learning? Does that percent/responsibility go up for kids who are in foster care or have a parent in prison, or are living in some other kind of horrendous situation?
    Hope those help....good luck to all who are job hunting!

14. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 31, 2006

I just had a second interview today, too! The questions that were asked were still rather broad, what do I consider my strengths and how would I apply these to teaching? How would I differentiate instruction? How would I cover the standards, and how comfortable od I feel teaching in my primary language (Spanish)-it's for a bilingual teaching position. How I feel about taking on an extracurricular activity, and I can't remember the rest, it was very much like an informal conversation, which was nice, less stress.
    It's also good if you have questions for them at the end too, they asked me if I had any questions, and I asked them about other expectations other that teaching that teachers were expected to do such as commitees and duties, I also asked how long they've been at that school and what they liked about it (They thought this was a good question and each had very positive things to say about the school)-I interviewed with a dif principal and two other teachers.

I left feeling pretty good, but we'll see how it goes!

15. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 1, 2006

Iemailed the principal to say thank you already. I also added a small bit that I forgot to mention during the interview in my thank you letter.