What to do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 808HiFly, Apr 9, 2017.

1. 808HiFly

808HiFly New Member

Apr 9, 2017

A student posted a "hoax letter" changing the results of a serious seasonal Highschool contest and posted it all over campus. What made the situation worst was, he used the school's logo and took a screenshot of our headmasters signature and placed it also on the letter. He came forward and told the truth. He was put on Admin leave and told that there is a possibility for being expelled.

The student is well known throughout the school for sticking out in a good way; he does the best he can, kind and very good soul, is nice to every one he sees, smart, connects to everyone, basically he's everything that we look students to be. Teachers and students all know him. He's been going here for seven years and has made an impact in teachers and students lives. This is the first ever biggest offense he's ever done.
    He also has future plans to go to Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York in hopes to complete his dreams of becoming a Chef, he's also grounded in his culture and perpetuating it. He is also a Senior and only has 36 days from graduation.

What should his punishment(s) be? Should we let him stay and graduate or expel him?

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Apr 9, 2017

What was the purpose of doing it for him? Was it intended to be a senior prank or did he do it for dishonest reasons?

I'm personally not in favor of having students not graduate for something like this. I would not allow him to go to prom or any of the fun senior activities your school might have. Maybe he needs to do extra community service instead of volunteer for the school in some capacity.

MetalTeacher and Backroads like this.
  4. rpan

rpan Comrade

Apr 9, 2017

So a student did something bad but it's not so bad that it should stop him graduating. Especially since he's a good kid who made a single bad decision. Who hasn't? If he's been good all this while then it should count for something. Although a lesson needs to be learnt here - missing prom or community service like Holyoke says - not graduating is too harsh in my opinion.

MrTempest and MetalTeacher like this.
  5. 808HiFly

808HiFly New Member

Apr 9, 2017

Usually students believe the competition is rigged if the results are weird and this year the competition results were really unexpected (there were controversy between faculty and students), he was hoping the letter would bring out something, like this letter would cause something to be said about the results. We thought it as a april fools joke because they had just come back from spring break but he completely said with honesty it was out of emotion; that he was salty and thought their leaders work too hard not win everything.

6. 808HiFly

808HiFly New Member

Apr 9, 2017

We asked him what his punishments should be if he were to stay? and he came up with answers like these:
    1. Apologize to Headmaster and Admin for the use of their signature and the school logo, face to face.
    2. A meeting with his entire class in a assembly who he feels he hurt the most; for giving them high hopes.
    3. Conduct Probation

We really don't know what to do because this is a federal offense for; PLAGIARISM, Character Disposition, and maybe even fraud but for us we had expected anybody else but him to do something like this. To be honest, I feel there are students who don't deserve to be here for more than one incidents but they are and we are thinking of kicking this senior out before 35 days till graduation. There are teachers and students advocating for this kid but we are still at a standstill with our decision.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 10, 2017

Federal offense?

MrTempest and Caesar753 like this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 10, 2017

If you're going to take the "federal offense" seriously then maybe put in place restrictions such as he may not be on campus after school hours (no activities) and he would not be able to attend graduation (but still get his diploma if he passed his classes).

Backroads likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2017

I am going to second this. Expulsion seems off, though I do recognize what he did is serious. But it also seems as things a teen might not legally comprehend.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2017

I think you are being totally too harsh on this child. I think his chosen consequences should be fine.

People forget that young male's brains are not fully mature until sometime in their twenties. They are going to be impulsive and won't make the best decisions about things. He didn't hurt anyone, damage anything, or commit any permanent injury to anyone or anything.

Linguist92021 and a2z like this.
  11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Apr 10, 2017

I would not alter this child's future because of one action. He has owned up to his behaviour, explained his motive and has come up with a reasonable course for restitution. He has 35 days left and has been exemplary until now. It's not worth it - let him pay his dues and then graduate.

rpan, Backroads and a2z like this.
  12. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 11, 2017

At times, privileged schools seem to lack the benefit of a wider perspective when it comes to matters of discipline.

I have to worry about kids bringing guns and knives to my school. That's serious.

This situation is not as serious as some hand-wringers would like to think. You don't keep a kid like this from graduating—that would be heavy-handed and asinine. Rally a bit of perspective from outside your own neighborhood.

A couple of day's suspension and a written apology are all this kid needs.

Don't let some old blue hair wreck high school graduation over a petty prank.

Backroads and a2z like this.
  13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Apr 11, 2017

I went to high school at a public selective high school, meaning students could, and frequently were, expelled for disciplinary reasons, some of which seemed fairly benign at the time. Within a month of graduation, students were often given the option to stay at the school, on restriction (so no extracurriculars) and graduate, but not walk at the ceremony. The high school was prestigious enough that people usually chose that option if it was given.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 11, 2017

With this few days to go, I would grant the diploma but would strongly consider not allowing him to walk at Commencement. What he did undermined an annual competition, so keeping him from this annual rite of passage would be justified.

Teacher0909 and Backroads like this.
  15. Teacher0909

Teacher0909 Rookie

Apr 16, 2017

Rules are put in place for a reason and should be the same for everyone (keeping in mind individuals who have learning disabilities). When you start considering not enforcing them because of who the person is then we start getting too close to unfair treatment for others. I see this far too much whether it's the principals kids who don't get in trouble by the teacher for the same things other students do or teachers kids who get away with things other students get in trouble for doing. It's ridiculous. I don't think he should be kept from graduating but I do believe he should either be suspended from school for a few days or not be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony. He forged the headmaster's signature and lied to the entire student body. It's a costly mistake but it's one he and others will learn from.

16. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

This whole thread seems like a prank. I've read the OP several times and the replies and still can't make sense of any of it. And who uses "salty" with other adults, or claims a prank is a "federal offense."

stephenpe likes this.
  17. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 19, 2017

I've seen a lot of high-strung, hyper-reactive, socially oblivious types in education. And some take themselves too damn seriously. They are out there. Not every school system allows the children to run the place.

Southern JC likes this.